Newbie in Buffalo, New York

6 Replies

Hey everyone.  I love learning and BP has been a immense trove of knowledge for me.  I'm based out of Buffalo, New York and currently looking to secure my first rental. My area has seen drastic increases in value and I'm unsure of how to navigate.  My goal to is to slowly build positive cash flowing properties. I love to be hands on and in the thick of it.  Are there ways a newbie can learn in a practical and hands-on way?  Thanks.

Originally posted by @Chad Houston :

@Kyle Phakkhonkham property management. You get to know types of tenants, agencies, handymen etc. in the Buffalo area. That’s what I did and would recommend learning that way

Thanks for the tip. I would have never thought of that!  I’ll see if I can get involved with something. 

Originally posted by @Jerry Padilla :

@Kyle Phakkhonkham

Do you own a primary residence? 

House hacking a multi-family and managing the property while living in one of the units, is a great way to get started. 

I was strongly considering that.  I haven't found anything yet that really calls out to me yet.  Is that how you got started?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you