New RE investor - Reserve Fund

3 Replies

Hello BP community. I'm looking for my first MF rental (not opposed to SFH) and wanted some advice on how much one should have in reserves when going into a deal. I'd also appreciate any advice on finding off market deals (wholesaling, probate list etc). In an ideal case I'd like to find something that I can BRRRR in order to recoup my capital and accelerate me towards my next deal.

Thanks for your help.

@Terry Scipio Great topic, I love number crunching. I suspect you will get 100 different answers from 100 people but...The way I always calculated my reserve fund was the think through the "worst case scenario...within reason". What I mean by that is...let's say I'm buying a 3/2 single family home for 200k. What could go wrong? It might not rent for 2 months ($2,000) I might have to evict a tenant ($3,000) The a/c or heat could go out ($1,500) I might have an insurance claim ($1,000). So in this case, I would reserve approx $7,500. Everyone will have a different take on this but to me, that makes sense and always worked. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you