Hello from Seattle -- Looking to get started!

1 Reply

Hello! I am from the greater Seattle area looking to get started with REI.

I am in my early 30s and recently married. I have never bought a property before, but have been saving money to buy one. I have saved about $100k, and I almost pulled a trigger on a 650k single family home in Seattle area which would have had negative cash flow. 

After some digging, I found this website and have been reading books and watching podcasts. I have been playing with the idea of investing out of the state but I might do just a bit more research until I feel more comfortable.

I would love to meet other members in person and hopefully find a good mentor.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to being a part of the community!

Welcome to BP and congrats on the recent marriage!

Us coastal residents in overpriced markets probably cannot expect positive cash flow from our primary residence. Depending on whether you rent a room out (not sure if you want to do that if you are married) you just want to be able to make the PITI and hopefully bank on appreciation.

I don't know if I would have been brave enough to do out-of-state investing without buying first where I live. The process is stressful enough as it is but being a plane ride away would make it so much worse.

Good luck and hope you find something you like!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here