Hi guys - can't wait to join the ranks!

5 Replies

My name is John. I'm an architect by trade but have always loved real estate. I own two town homes in Houston that I rent out, but live in a cool old building downtown that I lease. I'm on the hunt for some value add deals that I can add my own artistic flare to.

Look forward to meeting everyone!

Originally posted by @Anthoney Hanks :

@John L. Welcome to BiggerPockets! Truly nice to meet you. Good luck going forward! 😁 Sound like you are off to a good start. Hope the best for you!!

Thanks.  I feel like I'm in tadpole stage.  But the two townhomes have allowed me to get my toes wet before I cannonball!

Originally posted by @John L. :

I own two town homes in Houston that I rent out, but live in a cool old building downtown that I lease. 

Welcome to BP, John! What part of town are your rentals in? Just curious, do you think you’ll continue to lease your personal residency long-term or is that just a temporary preference? Some folks are big advocates of owning what you can rent out and leasing where you live, I’ve always wrestled with that myself.

Originally posted by @Anthony Trollope :
Originally posted by @John L.:

I own two town homes in Houston that I rent out, but live in a cool old building downtown that I lease. 

Welcome to BP, John! What part of town are your rentals in? Just curious, do you think you’ll continue to lease your personal residency long-term or is that just a temporary preference? Some folks are big advocates of owning what you can rent out and leasing where you live, I’ve always wrestled with that myself.

I have a townhome in 3rd ward and eado.  

That's sorta what I'm doing.  The amount I'd have to spend to buy the place I live would be better suited to buying a rental. The rental I could buy with the money for my current place would easily pay my rent + more.  At least that's how I justify it to myself.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you