Juan Abreu
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
New member from Houston, TX

Juan Abreu
  • Houston, TX
Posted Nov 13 2019, 18:53

Hi all, 

I just purchased my first home which I am going to househack and while researching, I ran into this incredible resource. Unfortunately, I didn't know about it beforehand but glad to be here now. 

I purchased my home with a VA loan (I'm a vet) so zero down payment but won't cashflow while I live in it. I intend to live in the house the required year and then rent out the whole house, which should then break even. The zero down payment makes it hard because the monthly payments are quite high, but hey free equity.

My one true love is traveling and a couple of years ago, after working for a while and saving a decent amount of cash, I quit my job and was living the nomad lifestyle just wandering around the world - spent a lot of time in eastern Europe, India, and Australia. While abroad I kept trying to find ways to make money remotely to sustain that lifestyle but evidently proved to be difficult and found that 80% of the people who sustain that lifestyle either teach English abroad, are retired, or own rental properties. Hence, my interest in RE.

That being said, I'm not looking to become the next Jeff Bezos or Warren Buffet. My long term goal would be to acquire enough rental properties to cashflow enough to sustain my lifestyle abroad (I would be happy with around $2,000/month) and automating it as much as possible.

I'm looking forward to learning and eventually contributing to BP, and hopefully meeting other like minded people in my area.

Loading replies...