Newbie from Metro Detroit interested in house hacking.

7 Replies

Hi Everyone! My name is Ashley and I am a new member to Bigger Pockets! The last few years I have been saving up my money to buy my first duplex to rent out and live in. I am just so excited to get started, I can’t wait any longer! My real estate experience started 5 years ago when I became a loan officer. I then dabbled at a title company. Now currently I have been working as an underwriter. I want to be on the other side of the transaction now! 

I currently live outside of Detroit. There aren’t too many multi-family homes for sale in the Metro Detroit area. I am planning to wait until spring/summer to buy, hoping there will be more out there. 

My one question to everyone right now: if you could pick 1 book for a beginner to read first, which would it be!!

Thank you everyone! 

@Ashley Noble ,

Hey, I started house hacked in 2016 in Dearborn, it has helped me really learn more and pay less lol. I hope you find something that fits you, but I recommend doing it.

#1 book to read first - rich dad poor dad if you read that one then millionaire next door

@Salliece McCain nailed it. My wife and I house hacked, and Brandon Turner’s book on managing rental properties was the the most actionable and hands on book we read. We used a lot of the resources that you get access to in it and took away a ton that we use to this day. 

Hi @Ashley Noble

I am in the same position as you, researching/saving for multifamily investing in metro Detroit. I am also looking to house hack. I would suggest the Four Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss. I am going to read "The House Hacking Strategy" next. 

Good luck to you! 

I just bought my first house hack in Detroit as well. It's a single family home, but it's a four bed and I'm renting out the rooms. My roommates are way more than covering the payment as it is a land bank home owned outright! They dont even mind living in a partial construction zone, as only things like drywall are needed. (We did a total gut and rehab before they moved in). Planning on doing a cash out this May and looking for a duplex then! Let's connect, I'm needing to connect with like minded investors in the area. Best of luck, this journey is a blast! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you