New Investor Metro Detroit - currently on Visa

10 Replies

Hey BP-community!

My name is Daniel and I am currently working in the Detroit Metro area on a Visa (E1). I am slaving away my life as an Application Engineer for a German automotive supplier. I strongly believe, that I found real estate investing as my way to financial freedom and I'm hoping to quit my day-job within 5 years (or hopefully less) from now. 

I moved to the US in April 2016 and I see huge opportunities on the real estate investment side here in Detroit and the US in general. The market here is much different from my home back in Germany where it is extremely hard to make money from real estate. I found that the overwhelming majority of investments does not even break even, in addition to having a huge tax burden... 

I've been living in rentals for the past 3.5 years here and I am finally sick of paying into someone else's pocket. So I did my research and now I am currently closing on my first single family home - first to live in it with my girlfriend, but possibly use it as a rental later on (should cash flow ~$200).

I make pretty good money during my day-job so I am already planning on buying the next property during the first half of 2020. Ideally a 4-plex, later on scale with the help of larger apartment buildings.

I'd be very happy to meet more seasoned or aspiring investors and I am also very interested in finding local meet-ups so that I can grow my network here in Detroit. Feel free to reach out!

All the best,

Daniel

@Daniel Wuerdinger Welcome Daniel! You should check out Renegade Detroit's meetup at Sheild's on the first Tuesday of each month. It starts at 6pm. Plenty of networking opportunities there. You can also join Michigan Real Estate Investors (MREI) or one of the local REIAs. I am a member of Oakland REIA and its great!

Originally posted by @Salliece McCain :

@Daniel Wuerdinger Welcome Daniel! You should check out Renegade Detroit's meetup at Sheild's on the first Tuesday of each month. It starts at 6pm. Plenty of networking opportunities there. You can also join Michigan Real Estate Investors (MREI) or one of the local REIAs. I am a member of Oakland REIA and its great!

Hi Salliece, 

Thank you very much for the input! I'll definitely check out some of the local REIAs - I'm also in Oakland county so that one  could be a good start. I'll also make sure to attend one of the MREI meetings, it seems like they meet in Troy which is just down the road from my work. Thanks again!

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel, Welcome to BP.

I live in Weston Florida but I'm investing in Detroit Area, I'm doing some Fix & Flips for investors and my self, next year I'm planning to buy lots of deals to fix & Flip and also to buy and hold. We should meet sometime.

Originally posted by @Gian Franco Saglimbeni :

Hi Daniel, Welcome to BP.

I live in Weston Florida but I'm investing in Detroit Area, I'm doing some Fix & Flips for investors and my self, next year I'm planning to buy lots of deals to fix & Flip and also to buy and hold. We should meet sometime.

Hey Gian, 

Absolutely, good luck with your fix and flips! Hit me up when you're in the area. 

Best regards, 

Daniel

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you