How to Introduce Yourself to the BiggerPockets Community

How to Introduce Yourself to the BiggerPockets Community

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

Here are some guidelines to help you with your introduction post here in the BiggerPockets New Member Introductions forum. Please follow the following approach to introducing yourself:

1. Please try and mention where you're from in your post titles.
It helps our members to network with one another.
e.g. Newbie from Lawrence, Kansas

Many of our members have set up keyword alerts to help them find other members in their area. By including your location in your title/post, you'll allow our system to notify your peers of your post so they can jump in and start networking with you.

For a tutorial on our keyword alerts click here

2. In making your introduction, tell us a bit about yourself.
Things that you might want to share include: your real name, your background in real estate, where you're from, what you do, what your goals are in real estate, and how you came to join BiggerPockets.

3. Once you've introduced yourself, please check back with your post.
Our members go out of their way to welcome you to the site, ask you questions, etc. The forum loses steam when new members get a great welcome, but never come back to follow up with the questions/comments posed to them by others.

By default, when you post a new topic, you're automatically subscribed to it, and will get notifications of replies by email. Just jump in when you get those emails and meet your new friends.

4. Reciprocate and welcome other new members to the site.
Not only is this a great way to start networking, but it helps generate "positive mojo
."

5. Please do not use your introduction as a sales pitch!
Any sales pitches need to be in the appropriate areas of the site - our Marketplace. Introductions are a place to share with others who you are.

You should not use your introduction to sell your company or business to us. To find out more about our rules, please see our forum rules

6. Don't just stop engaging after introducing yourself.
Have fun, ask questions, network, and learn!! Those members who are active -- both newbie and experienced -- tend to attract large networks of colleagues, partners, and business opportunities. By staying active and visible here on the forums, you'll gain exposure to the largest community online of real estate investors and aficionados -- good things typically come to those that do.

Good luck!

MODERATOR: PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR OWN INTRO HERE. PLEASE START YOUR OWN THREAD.

86
Topic locked
279 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
13y

Nice post Joshua Dorkin. I would add that when you are attempting to become colleagues with other members, that you DO include a short message with that colleague request. I can't stand it when I'm at a REIA meeting and somebody hands me their business card and runs off without even saying a word; these blank colleague requests feel the same way to me ...

37
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Joshua D. for the helpful advice and for suggestions to do as far as followup actions. 

    1
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Quincy, IL · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Thanks Joshua.  I appreciate the tips and incorporated them into my introduction.  I look forward to hearing more from you on this site.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Thank you for posting this!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Altoona , PA · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    I'm new to investing and I would like to own a duplex buy the end of the year. I live in the Altoona , pa. 16601 area. Anyone out there I can chat with in this area would be great . I would greatly appreciate any help with this 

    From anyone. Thank you

    George

    0
    Topic locked
  • Homeowner · Springtown, TX · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 3 votes
    11y

    I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm a retired military guy who served in both US Marines and US Navy as an enlisted and later retired as Naval Supply Officer.  Recently had new addition to family, wasn't suppose to be able have kids however God knows best. Not sure what is the best or first step, but willing to learn and provide for family and support military population.

    3
    Topic locked
  • Investor / Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 667 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed 

    Welcome to the site. I recommend reading the first post in this thread and start your own thread in the new member introduction section. You will get the correct response in there and make the moderators happy. 

    1
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Whitttier, CA · Member since 2015 · 405 posts · 110 votes
    11y

    I think these are the most awkward moments; but, if we just let go and have fun with it, all will turn out just fine.

    2
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Los Angelos, CA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Another Great post! I always take valuable lessons from your posts @Joshua D.

     Keep up the good work!

    1
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Great post. I noticed this shortly after posting my introduction this morning..could have done the tell us a bit about yourself more, but I'm here to stay and will be working on that in my profile so not a lost cause. But I definitely like this post because it gives a great template to introduce yourself.

    The “I’m here to stay” part of that post somehow was forgotten by this “Account Closed” individual ;)

    Maybe that was just wishful thinking ... 

    0
    Topic locked