How to Introduce Yourself to the BiggerPockets Community

How to Introduce Yourself to the BiggerPockets Community

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

Here are some guidelines to help you with your introduction post here in the BiggerPockets New Member Introductions forum. Please follow the following approach to introducing yourself:

1. Please try and mention where you're from in your post titles.
It helps our members to network with one another.
e.g. Newbie from Lawrence, Kansas

Many of our members have set up keyword alerts to help them find other members in their area. By including your location in your title/post, you'll allow our system to notify your peers of your post so they can jump in and start networking with you.

For a tutorial on our keyword alerts click here

2. In making your introduction, tell us a bit about yourself.
Things that you might want to share include: your real name, your background in real estate, where you're from, what you do, what your goals are in real estate, and how you came to join BiggerPockets.

3. Once you've introduced yourself, please check back with your post.
Our members go out of their way to welcome you to the site, ask you questions, etc. The forum loses steam when new members get a great welcome, but never come back to follow up with the questions/comments posed to them by others.

By default, when you post a new topic, you're automatically subscribed to it, and will get notifications of replies by email. Just jump in when you get those emails and meet your new friends.

4. Reciprocate and welcome other new members to the site.
Not only is this a great way to start networking, but it helps generate "positive mojo
."

5. Please do not use your introduction as a sales pitch!
Any sales pitches need to be in the appropriate areas of the site - our Marketplace. Introductions are a place to share with others who you are.

You should not use your introduction to sell your company or business to us. To find out more about our rules, please see our forum rules

6. Don't just stop engaging after introducing yourself.
Have fun, ask questions, network, and learn!! Those members who are active -- both newbie and experienced -- tend to attract large networks of colleagues, partners, and business opportunities. By staying active and visible here on the forums, you'll gain exposure to the largest community online of real estate investors and aficionados -- good things typically come to those that do.

Good luck!

MODERATOR: PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR OWN INTRO HERE. PLEASE START YOUR OWN THREAD.

86
Topic locked
298 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
13y

Nice post Joshua Dorkin. I would add that when you are attempting to become colleagues with other members, that you DO include a short message with that colleague request. I can't stand it when I'm at a REIA meeting and somebody hands me their business card and runs off without even saying a word; these blank colleague requests feel the same way to me ...

37
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    Nice post Joshua Dorkin. I would add that when you are attempting to become colleagues with other members, that you DO include a short message with that colleague request. I can't stand it when I'm at a REIA meeting and somebody hands me their business card and runs off without even saying a word; these blank colleague requests feel the same way to me ...

    37
    Topic locked
  • Commercial Real Estate Lender / Syndicator · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 888 posts · 309 votes
    13y

    Great post Josh. Steve's comment reminded me of something similar that occurred Saturday at an REI Conf. A guy was walking up to everyone in a long line saying, "Hi, I'm networking." At which point he did nothing more than hand you a tablet and a pen to write your name, number, and email. I tripped him all up when I asked what he did and why we should exchange contact info.

    30
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    All good suggestions.

    I would also suggest being more specific than just saying that you want to get into "real estate investing". That's so broad, and there are so many members here who are involved in so many different types of "real estate investing", that you'll probably generate more interest and connections if you state specifically what type of investing you're interested in (i.e. wholesaling, fix-and-flip, buy-and-hold rentals, etc).

    Lastly, it seems to be helpful if you fill out your profile first, so that when people see your introduction they can then click on your profile to learn even more about you. Plus it will save the moderators from having to remind you to fill it out. :)

    14
    Topic locked
  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Very good suggestions Josh. I feel like I need to go back and re-introduce myself now because I am sure I did it all wrong the first time!

    7
    Topic locked
  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    13y

    Great post and great suggestions. Completing your profile, consistently engaging the forums by asking questions, and staying active on the board is essential. For whatever reason, many start their intro then do not follow up and stay active. If you want to be successful, you must be determined, consistent, and willing to spend the time to learn.

    Welcome all new members to BP Nation!

    15
    Topic locked
  • Involved In Real Estate · Gaithersburg, MD · Member since 2013 · 41 posts · 7 votes
    13y

    Great post. I noticed this shortly after posting my introduction this morning..could have done the tell us a bit about yourself more, but I'm here to stay and will be working on that in my profile so not a lost cause. But I definitely like this post because it gives a great template to introduce yourself.

    6
    Topic locked
  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    I will be keeping this link and passing it on daily!!

    3
    Topic locked
  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    I want to add what a difference it can make to post a photo. It feels much more real and personal than an avatar or photograph of a landscape. Not that there is anything wrong with the generic ones, but an actual photo make me feel like you are a person instead of a company.

    7
    Topic locked
  • Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2013 · 42 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Josh,

    This is a really great post. It is sometimes daunting to join a community that you are unsure how to engage, but this post is really helpful. Thanks.

    4
    Topic locked
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    No problem, Michael Rious! Thanks for joining up.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    Another request. Use the introduction thread to introduce yourself as described above and let's not break out into some RE deal or situation, those need to be in the appropriate sections.

    And, when you ask for advice in some activity about a property please provide all the information you can. Sale price, market value, rehab cost, rents, down payment, loan amount, if it's an REO or foreclosure or FSBO or MLS, and general location, such that is applicable. I've seen threads that have taken many posts just to get enough information to begin addressing the topic. The more information and details given the better chance of getting better feedback.

    There is also too much information, going on about history, like how you got into some mess may not be applicable to the reality of the day, so consider if all the verbage is really needed to get your answers. And, LOL, I have some of the longest posts on BP, not sure if people read them or skim them or just overlook what is said being so long. :)

    9
    Topic locked
  • Residential Landlord · Waynesville, NC · Member since 2013 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    thanks for the tips

    0
    Topic locked
  • Inspector · Alhambra, CA · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Thanks, @Joshua Dorkin - your post gave me a great start to starting the conversation here! Glad I stumbled on this site!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    No problem. I'm glad everyone is finding the tips helpful. When you have a chance, John, do upload a personal profile pic so people can better get to know you as you engage here.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2012 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    That's a great guideline, I did my intro post just a few days back. I already have some great feedback and info, two new colleagues, and following some BP members. Very happy I joined the conversation.

    2
    Topic locked
  • Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Thanks for the advice Joshua! Maybe there's a better place to ask this question, but as a newbie I'm still finding my way through this site so I'll ask it here. I'm trying to reply to each of the individuals who took the time to respond to my introduction. Is there a way to directly reply to someone's comments or does the reply always just go to the bottom of the comments thread? Thanks!
    Tim

    0
    Topic locked
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    Brian Jones - Thanks for sharing. That's the power of this place. The more you engage, the more quickly you will grow your network and business.

    Tim Grenier - No problem on the question. All replies go to the bottom of the thread, however you can respond to people individually by using our @Mentions system. Check out this tutorial for help.

    3
    Topic locked
  • Wise, VA · Member since 2013 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Thanks for the tips!!

    1
    Topic locked
  • Searcy, AR · Member since 2013 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Thanks for the tips!!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Hazel Run, MN · Member since 2013 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Thanks for the post and great suggestions!!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Oakwood, OK · Member since 2013 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Thanks this is really helpful!!!

    1
    Topic locked
  • Involved In Real Estate · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 72 posts · 17 votes
    12y

    I agree so much with Carlos Flores! Not everyone is meant to network with everyone. People think exchanging contact info means your networking. NOT! We should want to build meaningful and mutually-beneficial relationships with each other. I can have 700 "networking" contacts but if I'm only reaching out to 20 of them that becomes severely disproportionate. Quality over quantity anyday!

    4
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Northampton, MA · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    Great Post and replies.  I'm very excited I discovered this site! 

    I'm off to create my introduction post.  Thanks for the clear instructions!

    Kevin

    2
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Jasmine Brumfield ditto! My biggest pet peeve is being at a conference and someone randomly coming up to me and handing me their biz card, asking for mine then leaving. HA. It makes no sense. Quality relationships over shotgun approach for sure. 

    6
    Topic locked
  • Contractor · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    I guess I better get my intro done.  I think I'll get a picture first though.

    0
    Topic locked