• Investor
  • Laguna Hills, CA
Votes |
NEW MEMBER SELF INTRODUCTION

Darwin Mickelson
  • Investor
  • Laguna Hills, CA
Posted Feb 14 2013, 03:20

HELLO fellow Bigger Pockets Colleagues. I'm hoping that this is the right area to post a new member introduction. Joshua pointed me here, so there must not be a separate forum for just introductions. If there is, please someone alert me. I apologize if I am messing up this column with an inappropriate post

I'm a newbie from Southern California (Laguna Hills, CA), but my investing interest has been mostly in Georgia, Arkansas and Florida. I grew up in the midwest (South DAkota) and moved to California to attend college and eventually to practice chiropractic for about 20 years in La Habra, CA.

Starting in 2006, I was inspired by a now famous road sign "Real Estate Investor seeks apprentice". I had the naivety to believe that some benevolent benefactor was going to take me under his/her wing and show me how to do the business. I soon found out that the marketing statement didn't exactly match up with the situation. I have had, however, numerous quality courses in different aspects of real estate, but have been slow to create partnerships or mentors to personally guide me in how to most safely and quickly profit from real estate investing. I did end up buying two out of state properties which I lost within 2 years due to my poor long distance management of my tenants and failure to control the quality of my renters.

More recently, I've taken an interest in Tax Delinquent properties and am currently working at Jack Bosch's "Hidden Tax Sale Cash" program, but have been unsuccessful at landing a deal with that focus yet. I like Jack a lot and his rags to riches immigrant story impressed me, but I would sure like to make some of my rags turn into riches with some consistency, if you know what I mean. LOL

I'm 64, a grandpa of 4 grandkids, a father of 4 children, married for 24 years and now single. Previously practicing as a chiropractor, I am coming out of retirement to explore the world of real estate related business deals. The Overage group (Rick Dawson's) has a forum and someone in that group recommended Bigger Pockets. I am pleasantly surprised at the rapidity with which members respond and freely share information and assistance, here in Bigger Pockets. Only a few hours after putting in my key words and registration, someone I contacted responded with a helpful referral to a real estate attorney in Georgia and mentioned the type of end attorney that I would most likely need. I was amazed and delighted to have such a dynamic response from an experienced investor from my area of interest.

A second business focus concerns Overage Funds that occur when a tax delinquent property brings more at the county tax sale than the tax liability of the previous owner. I research funds that the county is holding for the prior owner (who was kicked out of the property for nonpayment of delinquent taxes and who usually doesn't know they are owed any money!!!) and negotiate a contingency fee with the prior owner for a portion of the funds that I help them collect.

Right now I am looking for an HONEST PARALEGAL OR ATTORNEY, that you have had a favorable experience with, who has experience in assisting clients to collect from the Arkansas Land Sales Commissioner for OVERAGE (AKA EXCESS PROCEEDS OR SURPLUS FUNDS.) Often the entitled owner has died or varying levels of family are due the funds, so I suppose some legal person who is familiar with estate or probate issues; might consider partnering with me. I bring them a client and if there are any legal issues to navigate, then they earn a portion of my fee for finding and claiming the funds for my owner.

Any referrals would be appreciated for Arkansas, Georgia or Florida; but I mainly need help on a case in Arkansas currently.
Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you.

Mr Laguna (Darwin Mickelson)

Loading replies...