Newbie Northern Virginia

New Member Introductions 296.6K Posts 35.9K Discussions

Hello and glad I found this site. We're a General Contractor in N. VA and have been looking at REI for some time. We're considering opening our own brokerage as some of us already have our real estate license. Buying and flipping entry level homes seems to be where our most interest exists, primarily because of price point and experience. We'd appreciate any help, advice or hearing from anyone on the BP network!

Thanks for reading another noob post!
Steve H.

Hi Ned! I think I replied to one of your other posts about rental caps in MD. Glad to see some local people are active!

Hi Steve,
I'm in Hagerstown, Md.
Ben

Welcome to BP Steve...I love the newb posts and still consider myself one!

Welcome to BP Nation Steve. We all were once noobs, stay active, engage the community and before you know it, you will be a Pro.

Medium be logoWill Barnard, Barnard Enterprises, Inc. | http://www.barnardenterprises.com

Hi Steve,

Welcome to BiggerPockets - the #1 online resource for REI. I'm moving to the NOVA area later this year. We should connect!

Glenn

@ben D. Hi Ben! glad to see local users.
@James v. Thanks James! If 1,831 replies makes you a noob I have alot of work to do!
@Will B. Thanks Will! I agree you get out what you put in!
@Glenn E. Absolutley! Let's grab lunch.

Hi Steve. I'm in NoVa and have been for 30+ yrs as a LL and flipper. I'd love to be included in any local meet-up!

Originally posted by @Steve H. :
@ben D. Hi Ben! glad to see local users.
@James v. Thanks James! If 1,831 replies makes you a noob I have alot of work to do!
@Will B. Thanks Will! I agree you get out what you put in!
@Glenn E. Absolutley! Let's grab lunch.

Haha Steve, I have asked a lot of questions :)

Hi Cheryl C. Lets connect soon!

@Steve H. Welcome to the forum. I too am a Newbie to the REI in N. Va. I have been reading up on things for the past three years and now that I am finishing up my Masters, figured it was time to pull the trigger on investing. My heart is in flipping but need to build capital first. Would also like to be included in any meetup... help create a win-win for each other.

Robert, just opened a fortune cookie last night "To get ahead you first need to get started". Good luck getting started. This site is full of advice from seasoned professionals. It's a great sourse of information.

@Robert Rodriguez - congrats on the accomplishment! I've seen some ads on BP talking about how some investors are working full time and investing part time. Do you plan on investing fulltime or Partime?

@Ben Dillard - So very true! I figure if everyone stops writing now that I could read everything by year 2100!

Likewise. Welcome! I'm in Rockville and happy to meet up for lunch.

I'm a little late to this thread because I just joined BP today. I'm in NoVA too. Did we decide on a meeting at all? I would love to meet with other local investors (and I'm brandy new to investing, so I'm a sponge when it comes to learning)....

Steve,
Welcome! I'm in the Lynchburg area. I'm more of a buy and hold guy, but not averse to an occasional flip or fix and rent. There are many ways to be successful in this business. Find your niche and work whatever angle works best for you. Best of luck!

Hello another newbie here in N.VA my name is Brent nice to meet you all! Id like to get in on this meet up lets make it happen (again if you already made it happen)

I'll give this thread a bump since its been awhile. I'm in Alexandria and would like to learn how to buy and hold in this area.

Have you done any deals yet @Steve H. ? Did you move to the area yet @Glenn Espinosa ? Did I meet you @Cheryl C. at the REIC meeting two weeks ago in the front row with the same name :)

David

David Holland, The Holland Group Inc | [email protected]

Any Northern VA REI meetups soon?

I'd like to attend and network with those attending. As a Newbie in the REI, Ive been reading tons and networking with locals as much as possible

@Chris Attiliis - There are lots of groups in the area. I'm attending one this Wednesday (4/17) in Vienna. It's called the ALFA Real Estate Investors Community. Been a couple times and it's been really informative. Lots of great networking too. You can find out more here: http://www.meetup.com/ALFAre/

There is another one in Reston but I haven't been to this one yet (although I will probably go next month). It's called the CAZA Real Estate Investor Network. You can find it here: http://www.meetup.com/cazainvestornetwork/

Hope this helps!

Hey @Steve H. welcome to BP!

Medium fbprofileBrandon Turner, BiggerPockets | [email protected] | http://www.BiggerPockets.com

@Brandon Turner Thanks! This site has been instrumental to my REI interests. So much so that I decided to go "Pro".

@Chris Attiliis & @Christine Oliphant theres also a group that meets in Fairfax. There are no pitches, gurus or cost for attending. It resembles this forum in that attendees of all different levels and backgrounds who share their knowledge, leads and mentoring. Look up @Roger Lin and I'm sure he'll be happy to get you on the mailing list. Also, if you have any wholesale deals let me know. :)

@Steve H. - Thanks for the information on the Fairfax group! Looks like you're just down the road from me!