Skip to content
New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes
Lizbeth Vaquero
  • Investor
  • Scranton, PA
Votes |
Newbie question: Single Family vs Duplex?

Lizbeth Vaquero
  • Investor
  • Scranton, PA
Posted Jul 4 2020, 09:41

Hello all. This is the first time I am seeking opinion from all of you as I feel I need help deciding.

My husband and I have done 2 flips before but wit 100% funding from our own savings. No loans, no mortgages.We own a single family home that we flipped in 2015, and also a 4 unit complex that was purchased last year.

This time I am looking to get a loan from bank. I have been searching best options since I want to put down as little as a down payment as possible. I believe I would be going for a 30 yr FHA- but- I am not sure how complicated it would be to get an FHA on a 2 unit vs a single family home.

A single family home would be ideal for a no hassle process on a FHA but the 2 unit homes I feel are a lot safer since the tenant would be paying off my mortgage payment. I would rather the 2 unit for sure.

The dilemma is that in my market, Scranton PA, the 2 units available are all fixer uppers and the appraisals for the FHA wont pass.

I've been searching for a couple months but the 2units this area are in need of repairs.

Any advice whether I should stop looking for a 2 unit that would pass the FHA appraisal.. or just dive into the single family homes.

Thanks,

Loading replies...