Time Frame From Getting a Loan When Getting a New Job

3 Replies

I plan on getting a house around November or December but currently looking for a new job. Same field of work just a different company. How long should I be at the job before the lender would consider me for a loan. I've been in my industry for three years if that helps. Should I wait until after I get approved?

Hi Richard, I would definitely at least start the pre-qualified process...that would allow you to have an idea of what things are looking like both on your side and the lender side.  Most people take 3-5 months from start to finish in the home buying search so starting now allows you extra time to answer any questions, get financing in order, and negotiate the close time that works best for you.  hope this helps! And Good luck with the new job and the house search!

@Richard Jennings As long as you're in the same field/line of work, I don't see too much issue. Is it a full time? Additionally, will the new job be an upward move? If you're taking a new job for more pay/better position etc., lenders view that favorably. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you