Newbie Here looking for advice on first steps

11 Replies

Hey everyone I am new here and new to real estate investing (actually I have not even done one)  I am a bit of a handyman with a lot of experience on home repairs.  I have a decent amount of money in the bank and a lot of equity in my current home now.  I am looking to get into rentals without using a lot of my own money down I have listened to many podcasts but still not sure where to start.  I live in the akron canton ohio area which seems to be a good market I just don't want to make huge mistakes that i take a big financial hit on. I am confused on how to actually go to a foreclosure auction and how that works.  How do I find a qualified agent to work with?  well any advice will help thank you for reading this and considering my questions, I am sure this type of thing has been posted a bunch.  

Hi @Ron Sponseller congrats on taking the first steps! I would suggest really learning about real estate investing, whether that is through blogs, books, webinars, podcasts, etc. there is always something you can learn. I suggest checking out the Biggerpockets bookstore, or their blog as a good starting point. The other area I would focus on is mastering your market, I would try to learn as much as I can about the Akron/Canton area. Best of luck!

Hi @Ron Sponseller ,

These are all good questions! 

I am also an investor in the Ak/Canton area. We purchased a full rehab property from an auction and we were able to rehab and it is now rented. 

I would be happy to connect and share some of my experiences in this market with you.

Hey and welcome to Bigger Pockets! BP is the ultimate learning center for real estate investment. At BP, not only can you network with other real estate investors, you can learn from the informative forums posted daily on the site, find properties that are for sale, and take free courses. You have come the right place and I wish you best of luck.

@Ron Sponseller

@Ron Sponseller welcome to real estate investing. Most of us started the same way, it’s a learning process. My suggestion would be to start by learning everything you can, maybe books or a mentor... and of course Bigger Pockets! It’s all about having a good system in place that works for you. I’m in the Akron/Canton area as well and it’s true, there is money to be made here. Good luck on your endeavors & let me know if you have any questions.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you