Looking to network in Ottawa, Ontario

15 Replies

Hi all, I am an 11-year professional working in government who is new to investing. I have been wanting to invest for many years, but living in BC has prevented me from investing due to the incredibly competitive/expensive housing market.

My family and I are relocating to Ottawa, Ontario at the end of this month and I am looking to connect with experienced investors/realtors who can discuss my goals with purchasing my first (of many, I hope) rental property. If interested, let’s connect!

Hi Jennifer!

Welcome to Ottawa, a great city with a ton of investing resources, meetups and like minded individuals!  Sorry to hear you're leaving BC :( But if you're looking to connect and learn, reach out to me on Facebook Paul Hanchard.  I'll be happy to point you in the right direction and help you succeed.

I was posted to Ottawa in summer of 2018,  Discovered Real Estate in early 2019 and attended my first meetup in February, fast forward to today, I am 12 doors (Almost hit 24), have done a joint venture, have invested with other peoples money, established property management and now have friends all over the city who rock at this! all while working full time in the Military.

Paul

@Melanie Dupuis My goals are to invest slow and steady to start. I would like to purchase single-family dwellings, whether they be houses or townhomes, and use the BRRRR method. I don't have any connections (eg. Realtors, contractors, plumbers) in Ottawa yet, although I do have many just over the border in Quebec. I've never purchased a home in a different province, so that is something I would be willing to explore down the road. Thanks for reaching out!

@Paul Hanchard thank you Paul! I lived in Ottawa way back in 2003 when I studied at Ottawa University. I’m looking forward to getting to know the city again, but not so much the snow LOL

I’m with the government (on temp leave), and I, too, would like to explore this new venture on the side. Eventually, I would like for real estate investing to be my primary income generator. Thanks for the info, and I’ll add you to Facebook

Hi @Jennifer Thomson ,

Thinga are definetly a little less crazy here in Ottawa then it is out in Bc that's for sure!

Definetly would be interested in chatting and seeing anyway that I could help you! I have a good realtor who is also an investor and owns multiple units himself. He has been awesome in helping me purchase a couple of my properties!

@Steven Mojsej we were just in Ottawa at the end of July trying to find our family home, and I couldn’t get over the market. It was crazy! Bidding wars, $30-$50,000 over asking... I wondered if maybe I went full circle and landed back in BC ha!

Let’s get in touch.

Hi @Jennifer Thomson ,

It's definetly a hot out here. There are places that are going 30-80k over asking without conditions for places that should never go anywhere near that with visible issues.

Would be happy to connect when you are back in town! Always happy to chat real estate and learn new tips and tricks from people all the time!

Hey Hope you guys were able to get into the action in Ottawa. I recently got a deal under contract for a detached 3 bed/3 bath 1901-1930's property In Ottawa-Kenmore at an ARV of 55% closing May 31st. Calling on investors. DM if interested.

Hi @Paul Hanchard

It’s good to see another military guy in here. I am in the same bit as you but just have my first house hack (duplex) under contract. 

I noticed you also do property management. Hopefully our paths can cross and do some business together. Waiting for the next VAC payout to jump into some more units. 

-Chris

Originally posted by @Chris Drouin :

Hi @Paul Hanchard

It’s good to see another military guy in here. I am in the same bit as you but just have my first house hack (duplex) under contract. 

I noticed you also do property management. Hopefully our paths can cross and do some business together. Waiting for the next VAC payout to jump into some more units. 

-Chris

Hi Chris,

Hope your investment is doing well.  Sorry for the late response I haven't been on BP as much lately. Just a bit too busy, if you ever want to talk real estate or brain storm ideas, feel free to reach out.

Paul

Great to find a thread within Ottawa!

Real Estate Investor here, with 8 years of design and construction engineering experience, professionally. 

Thought I would just jump into the thread and say hi to everyone, inspired by listening to one of the pod casts on 'Real Estate Rookie Podcast'.

What kind of meet-ups are people going to, seeking to connect with like-minded individuals.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you