• San Leandro, CA
Votes |
Tax implications when moving to NV but work remote from Cali

Raquel Yu
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Leandro, CA
Posted Aug 10 2020, 22:49

Hello BiggerPockets Community,

This is my first post! And I'm trying to buy my first property! Would appreciate your feedback/advice if possible. I work for a big pharma and will be working remote probably until Q2 2021, if not longer. My goal for 2020 was to buy my first property and either house hack or invest. I'm looking in South Lake Tahoe (CA) and Stateline (NV) area that are VHR (vacation home rental) eligible to live in and house hack, then use as rental property if I have to come back to CA for work.

Question is, would there be a great impact if I bought property in Stateline, NV instead of South Lake Tahoe, CA? Could I avoid state income tax by being a NV resident? The properties in South Lake are a little bit nicer, bigger, and cheaper, so if I could chose I would do South Lake Tahoe, unless I could benefit being a NV resident or could be beneficial long term for rental property. I believe Stateline, NV are a bit pricier and older because of the no income tax benefits and VHR leniency, but I'm not sure if I can even obtain those benefits if I'll be working remote from a company in CA. 

If anyone has any experience, feedback, or advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much!

Stay safe and healthy everyone!

Raquel

Loading replies...