Undergraduate Student Looking to Gain Knowledge in Real Estate

5 Replies

Hello all! 
My name is Elliot! I am currently an 18 year old, Undergraduate Student at University of Oregon. Due to COVID-19, I am taking classes from my home in Portland, Oregon, and figured I would hop on hear to gain some knowledge in a personal field of interest. For as long as I can remember, I have adored real estate. Growing up, my mom was a Real Estate Broker and would occasionally take me to open houses, as well as meetings with the interior design team. From this time on, I have increasingly become more in love with the world of real estate and interior design and am looking to connect with others who share these interests. As a newcomer in this industry, I was delighted to find this online platform and am eager making meaningful connections with others who share the same passions. I am currently looking for a paid position in real estate for this upcoming summer in the Portland, Oregon area, and would love to hear suggestions of where to look if anyone has any ideas. I am interested in real estate development, investment, interior design and architecture. My dream job is to buy homes, sustainably renovate them, and sell them for new tenants. I would also love to learn more about property management, and have experience in this field being a co-manager of my mother's Airbnb Studio Apartment.

Wishing you all the best during these challenging times!

With care,

Elliot 

Hey @Elliot Callaway , I love that you are motivated to start a real estate career.  It sounds like you are interested in doing a lot of different things.  In my opinion, you should think about what interests you the most and move towards that.  Get an entry-level position in that category and go from there.  

Of the things you mentioned, rehabbing homes in a sustainable manner sounds like it would be the most difficult to master.  Look into what construction companies are doing that and see if you can get on board with them.  

Welcome to BiggerPockets. So glad you have joined the platform. Please take out the time to do some research on here and you will find many liked-minded and non like-minded individuals. This platform is full of knowledge and great connections. At the top right of your screen there should be a bell. If you click this bell, click the keyword alerts, and type in your desired keywords . . . . . You will always be notified when someone posts about it. Example: If you type “Interior Design” you will get a lot of post hopefully from those who are in or knowledgeable of the field. 

Best of Luck!

@Elliot Callaway

Welcome to Bigger Pockets. Keep connecting with people and asking questions. This is a great network within the real estate community and you can find almost anything real estate on here. There are definitely job postings here, so check those out as well. If you can attend meetups, those are great places to meet new people and network.

I will say that a lot of the mindset on this site is that you will need to figure out what you want to do and learn from others. The big thing to think about, is what value can you bring to someone else or a company? Don’t discount the knowledge that you will gain working with someone else. At this point in your career, you probably have a lot of time, not a lot of money and not a lot of knowledge. There are other people in their point in life that have a lot of knowledge, a lot of money but not a lot of time. Coming up to someone and saying put me to work is not helpful. Figuring out how you can help someone else who is in a position that you want to be in will go a long way.

Hey @Elliot Callaway

Congrats to you for your ambition! If you are looking to connect with someone for some guidance or advice, feel free to reach out. I also recommend you read this article I wrote for Bigger Pockets titled How to Invest in Real Estate Before Turning 21. Once you've read it, let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions. I am a high school teacher in Colorado and I am always looking to help young people get started in real estate investing or help in any way I can. Let me know if you want to chat sometime. https://www.biggerpockets.com/.

Originally posted by @Elliot Callaway :

Hello all! 
My name is Elliot! I am currently an 18 year old, Undergraduate Student at University of Oregon. Due to COVID-19, I am taking classes from my home in Portland, Oregon, and figured I would hop on hear to gain some knowledge in a personal field of interest. For as long as I can remember, I have adored real estate. Growing up, my mom was a Real Estate Broker and would occasionally take me to open houses, as well as meetings with the interior design team. From this time on, I have increasingly become more in love with the world of real estate and interior design and am looking to connect with others who share these interests. As a newcomer in this industry, I was delighted to find this online platform and am eager making meaningful connections with others who share the same passions. I am currently looking for a paid position in real estate for this upcoming summer in the Portland, Oregon area, and would love to hear suggestions of where to look if anyone has any ideas. I am interested in real estate development, investment, interior design and architecture. My dream job is to buy homes, sustainably renovate them, and sell them for new tenants. I would also love to learn more about property management, and have experience in this field being a co-manager of my mother's Airbnb Studio Apartment.

Wishing you all the best during these challenging times!

With care,

Elliot 

Elliot, glad you joined!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you