Florida Tenant Laws

4 Replies

Hello everyone, I'm from Miami but I was wondering if Florida/ Miami has tenant laws which limit the amount of tenants that can live in a single family home assuming it had 4 bedrooms and I would live in one, for a total of 3 tenants and myself. 

Thank you for your responses!!!

I believe the definition of single family home would exclude occupancy by four different tenants.  It's probably a zoning matter rather than a landlord/tenant matter.

Promotion
BiggerPockets
Hard Money Lending Directory
Find Hard Money Lenders in Florida!
BiggerPockets Lending Directory
Find Lenders Now!

You need to look at Miami zoning code, landlord tenant regulation. Generally the zoning codes do tend to use the standard of three unrelated persons to dictate what constitutes a rooming or boarder type situation.

This scenario is common around the Disney area. I have a 5 bedroom house with 5 separate tenants with 5 separate leases. My insurance agent last week as we were casually talking said that a typical DP3 landlord policy in Florida doesn’t cover more than 2 unrelated tenants in a single family house and I needed commercial landlord policy like one for a multi family unit. He’s having an issue finding one but I have another insurance broker who specializes in commercial properties getting me a quote.