To pool or not to pool. That is the question

7 Replies

In the nicer gated communities (300k+) in south Florida, I'd guess between 30% to 50% have inground, plaster pools. So unlike parts of the US north, pools I think are an advantage at least to a certain percentage of buyers. As for rentals, you have to factor in regular cleaning, maintenance, and repairs to your costs. Unless the water chemistry is maintained correctly, the mechanicals will fail prematurely. At some point, they fail anyway. You CANNOT trust your renter to do this maintenance  correctly. So don't underestimate the expense. Pools are a luxury item no mater where you are. If you think your renters will pay more for it, then it could be an advantage. It's a big "if" though.

Promotion
Vacasa
Vacation Rental Property Management
We do the work. You get the ROI.
We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.
Free income estimate
Originally posted by @Andrew Krause :

In the nicer gated communities (300k+) in south Florida, I'd guess between 30% to 50% have inground, plaster pools. So unlike parts of the US north, pools I think are an advantage at least to a certain percentage of buyers. As for rentals, you have to factor in regular cleaning, maintenance, and repairs to your costs. Unless the water chemistry is maintained correctly, the mechanicals will fail prematurely. At some point, they fail anyway. You CANNOT trust your renter to do this maintenance  correctly. So don't underestimate the expense. Pools are a luxury item no mater where you are. If you think your renters will pay more for it, then it could be an advantage. It's a big "if" though.

If I did have a rental with a pool I would pass the maintenance cost through to the tenant by way of increased rent. As you say hire a company and do not let the tenant have this responsibility.  But first I would make sure it is operating on a salt water system, no chemicals needed, just add salt which the the cleaner will take care of. The change over is not too bad and well worth it.

Hi Julie,

Sorry for the late response. Yes, the insurance costs doubled and that wasn't even for the best coverage available. I decided not to buy rentals with pools.