Tavernier, FL · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
I'd just like to throw it out there that, while I don't have a lot of knowledge in the real estate sector, I do have a nice camera and a decent eye for photography. I can at least take better pictures of your property than a phone-camera. I know some of the mediocre craigslist photography was a big turn off for me while I was looking for places to rent, so if you're looking to step your photography game up in between tenants in the Florida Keys (prefer upper and middle keys at the moment, but could be willing to travel to the lower keys for the right opportunity), shoot me a message on here.
I would also be willing to help with light cleaning if necessary in between tenants. I'm looking to get a better broad picture of what is involved with being a landlord, and would obviously also like to pick your brain about the process and lessons you've learned.
Flipper/Rehabber · Portsmouth, NH · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 9 votes
10y
I'm not from the Keys but just wanted to chime in my two cents on real estate photography. To get good results, you need (1) a tripod, (2) a camera capable of auto bracketing, (3) a very wide angle lens but longer than a fisheye, and Photomatix software. That's what I would consider a minimal real estate setup. Add to that some studio lights or a bunch of slaved off-camera flashes and the know-how to use them and you're golden. Perhaps Photoshop too.
On landlording, there's a great article that appeared on the BP homepage on 8 mistakes newbie landlords make. Great article.
Tavernier, FL · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
10y
Thanks for the advice on the photography. I got a Canon SL1, so not exactly top of the line, but I've done some fun stuff with it so far. It can auto bracket/HDR if I ask it nicely. I've been using a 50mm to shoot the inside of my current abode for practice, it works alright in my experience.
I read that article, they are good reminders, but not really anything I haven't thought about. Unfortunately things are very expensive down here (in my opinion) and it doesn't seem to be as simple as in other markets. By my calculations I can make it work but it'll be tight given my personal financial situation. I really want to get a local, first-hand homeowner with some experience to talk me through the complicated flood and wind insurance that is required down here. Plus I'm looking at a house in historic Tavernier so I'm sure there's some complications there as well.
I'm not from the Keys but just wanted to chime in my two cents on real estate photography. To get good results, you need (1) a tripod, (2) a camera capable of auto bracketing, (3) a very wide angle lens but longer than a fisheye, and Photomatix software. That's what I would consider a minimal real estate setup. Add to that some studio lights or a bunch of slaved off-camera flashes and the know-how to use them and you're golden. Perhaps Photoshop too.
On landlording, there's a great article that appeared on the BP homepage on 8 mistakes newbie landlords make. Great article.
I wish you the best!
Your "min real estate set up " is way overkill for most of the country. Maybe for mansions, LA modern boxes, estates. I am surprised you didn't mention quad copiers with 4k cameras.
First, you don't need auto bracketing. U need it if you don't have time and if you are doing hdr. . As long as you check your pic, if it's close enough, and u shoot on raw, and have light room...... That's enough.
Second, you don't need a tripod. You are not shooting the golden gate bridge at 9pm. Just increase your iso or change the aperture. Done
I have a 24mm on my d700 and that's plenty wide. Any wider would need correcting in the software and that's an extra step..