Which homeowners ins co provides best response after hurricanes?

7 Replies

Hello. I will soon be a South Florida homeowner moving from out of state. I'm shopping for homeowners insurance. With all of the US hurricanes in the last 10-15 years, I would think the data would be out there about which insurance companies have provided the most rapid response and/or which companies have responded best to their customers' satisfaction. Any ideas about where I could obtain this information?  I'd also appreciate any tips you guys might want to add about homeowners insurance in a hurricane prone area that I might not think of.  I know I have to get my flood insurance separately.  I'm not quite sure how this works still.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Congrats on your homeownership! I don’t know which company is fastest responding but definitely look into getting a generator strong enough to keep your a/c and fridge on. That’s the number one thing to deal with after any storm. 

Woohoo on your home!!!!

@Douglas T. I'm jaded so take it with a grain of salt.  But after 17 years and 8 major hurricanes directly over me two things have become clear - First stay away from me!  Second, insurance is not designed for your benefit but to make money for the shareholders of the insurance company.  So do not depend on an insurance company.  Self is the best insurance company of all.  

Buy strong construction.  Further wind proof your structure.  When a hurricane comes take a hurrication and do not stay home.  When you come back fire up the generator @Share Ross suggests.  Make a margarita and remember that the worst day in paradise is still better than the best day in the alternative.

Well stated @Dave Foster !!! Yes being self reliant is key! Along with having great neighbors! And yes to living in paradise. 

I own a disaster restoration company in SW Florida. I have worked with insurance companies on behalf of my clients since Hurricane Charley thru Irma this year. State Farm is one that I have always felt really looks out for their insured. I do not know if they are still writing new policies in Florida. Allstate is another one that I have enjoyed working with. I am currently work a hurricane loss that is written thru Allstate and feel like they have gone above and beyond for the homeowner. Tower Hill, Cypress and Saint Johns have also been great to work with thru Hurricane Irma. I will let you know that there are a lot of other insurance carriers who I feel are trying to find ways not to cover a loss. So I always recommend purchasing insurance thru a local agent who's office you can walk into and sit across from if you have issues. A good agent will go to bat for you when needed with a carrier.  PS.... I always suggest to make sure you have mold coverage on your policy. 

I live in South Florida I remember hurricane Wilma back 10 or so years ago we lost alot of shingles on the roof  so needed a new roof job.

I had Allstate and they were dragging there feet almost a year to pay the claim all I was looking to get was about 8k for new roof they didn't want to pay.

So  went out and got a Public Adjuster best more I ever made guy told me i was entitled to about 40k in claims got me my money in like 2 weeks cost me about 7k to fit the roof rest went into my pocket .

After that next hurricane we had I be outside begging for it to come my direction :)

Originally posted by @Mark Weinstock :

I live in South Florida I remember hurricane Wilma back 10 or so years ago we lost alot of shingles on the roof  so needed a new roof job.

I had Allstate and they were dragging there feet almost a year to pay the claim all I was looking to get was about 8k for new roof they didn't want to pay.

So  went out and got a Public Adjuster best more I ever made guy told me i was entitled to about 40k in claims got me my money in like 2 weeks cost me about 7k to fit the roof rest went into my pocket .

After that next hurricane we had I be outside begging for it to come my direction :)

Thanks for the info.  Did you have to pay for the public adjuster?

No back then there fee was actually added to it  and didn't even come out of my  claim if I'm not mistaken 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.