Real Estate, where to begin?

9 Replies

Find out what excites you. There are a hundred different ways to invest. I would start with listening to the podcasts. They are a great source for inspiration. You’ll start catching on to the lingo fast and get excited to start.

Renting to college students is supposed to be a good niche as they do not demand much. What I wonder is the kind of condition you get your unit back. Vacancy is supposedly low.  

Find an area near a college and jump in man! Florida is full of lost cost housing and college kids want to pay very little. If you're getting into the market for the first time it's a great way to breach the waters.

Make sure you have a strong lease and a cosigner, and you'll probably do fine.

@Nick Ziegelmann you are in a great area to do college rentals with FSU there.  I like the idea of college rentals as you just need them to be functional not nice (since they will get beat up a little each year) and that is what deposits are for.

Definitely require a co-signer, normally it is the parent of the kid.  This is pretty normal for college rentals.

As for the normal rental parameters, be sure to run the numbers to see that it will cash flow.  If you need a property calculator you are welcome to a copy of mine, just direct message me.

Originally posted by @John West :

Find out what excites you. There are a hundred different ways to invest. I would start with listening to the podcasts. They are a great source for inspiration. You’ll start catching on to the lingo fast and get excited to start.

—I actually just started listening to BP podcasts, great help.  Appreciate the help John 

Originally posted by @Chris C. :

Find an area near a college and jump in man! Florida is full of lost cost housing and college kids want to pay very little. If you're getting into the market for the first time it's a great way to breach the waters.

Make sure you have a strong lease and a cosigner, and you'll probably do fine.

—That’s what I'm thinking, just get out there and see what I’m capable of doing! I also have heard that as well is as long as I have a good co-signer and lease I should be good. Thanks Chris! 

Originally posted by :

Renting to college students is supposed to be a good niche as they do not demand much. What I wonder is the kind of condition you get your unit back. Vacancy is supposedly low.  

—I’ve heard that as well is the places you rent out don’t necessarily have to be top of the line for the students but more or so maybe fix em up a little. I do know that within time it’ll get run down eventually.  

Originally posted by @Mitchell Jaworski :

@Nick Ziegelmann you are in a great area to do college rentals with FSU there.  I like the idea of college rentals as you just need them to be functional not nice (since they will get beat up a little each year) and that is what deposits are for.

Definitely require a co-signer, normally it is the parent of the kid.  This is pretty normal for college rentals.

As for the normal rental parameters, be sure to run the numbers to see that it will cash flow.  If you need a property calculator you are welcome to a copy of mine, just direct message me.

—Nick: I have also gotten told to have a good co-sign and lease so that shouldn’t be to hard. I believe I’m in a great area to do so, I just need to get out there more and connect with people. Thanks Mitch!