Asbestos Removal in Central Florida

5 Replies

Hey BP,

I've recently closed on my third property, a duplex in Deland Florida, and this is the first time I've dealt with a property that needed work. Going into the deal, I knew that it had asbestos siding that needed to be removed and even though I've always heard it's costly, the numbers on the deal were too great to pass on. After getting a quote for the asbestos siding removal, as well as the siding replacement and repainting that is needed, I now realize I was in over my head and severely underestimated the cost to rehab a property with asbestos siding. The removal and disposal was quoted at $5480, the cost to replace and install the siding was quoted at $19,200, and the cost to repaint, prime and pressure wash was quoted at $2,282 for a grant total of $21,407. I have never done this before but this seems outrageously high and certainly much higher than I ever anticipated. I wanted to defer to the BP community, particularly those familiar with properties in the central Florida market, to see if this is too high of a quote. The duplex was built in 1949, so it is older, and is right around 1050 square feet with the asbestos is only on the exterior siding. Any insight or reference to a more affordable siding installation company for bids would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Aaron Kingsley Brown

Hi Aaron,

I am a broker as well as an investor in DeLand.  I have dealt with this issue before.  The asbestos quote seems only slightly high but the siding replacement seems very high on a house that size.  Feel free to reach out to me and I will assist any way I can, including recommending a contractor for a second quote.

Thanks,

Solomon

Hey Solomon,

Thank you for the reply. I will definitely take you up on that offer; I appreciate all the help and wisdom I can get!

Best,

Aaron Kingsley Brown

Originally posted by @Solomon Greene :

Hi Aaron,

I am a broker as well as an investor in DeLand.  I have dealt with this issue before.  The asbestos quote seems only slightly high but the siding replacement seems very high on a house that size.  Feel free to reach out to me and I will assist any way I can, including recommending a contractor for a second quote.

Thanks,

Solomon

Originally posted by @Robert Kirkley :

Hey @Aaron, what eventually happened with this property?

Hey Robert, I still have this property and as of late have not done anything to the exterior. I spoke to my inspector who assessed the property prior to closing and he felt that it was in good shape and didn't require an expensive removal. Through my research I've learned that asbestos is only a problem once it's been broken. Thus, I decided that rather than removing it when it's still in good shape, another viable option I was going to go with was to fortify it with asbestos binding paint. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this and if you've had any experiences of your own with this type of situation. 

@Aaron Brown Thanks for the update! I am not very experienced as of yet, so I would not be able to offer up any good advice unfortunately. I was more curious as to what you had decided to do with the expensive quotes. I didn't know that you could cover it up with binding paint, I hope that if you do it works out!