Popcorn ceiling in a fix and flip

3 Replies

Hey guys, I have a flip with popcorn ceiling in every room but the kitchen. The house was built in 1977. It's not a high end flip. ARV is 130k should I go through the expense of having it removed and refinished or leave it alone? Thank you for your opinions and advice.

Originally posted by @Ryan Nolan :

Hey guys, I have a flip with popcorn ceiling in every room but the kitchen. The house was built in 1977. It's not a high end flip. ARV is 130k should I go through the expense of having it removed and refinished or leave it alone? Thank you for your opinions and advice.

It will sell a lot faster without it. Time is money. It is easy enough to spray water on the popcorn and scrape it off. Wear a simple Home Depot mask, painter's suit and gloves. Then sand and paint. People fret over asbestos but you get worse exposure eating your Wheaties grown with roundup. All wheat and corn you eat are exposed to chemicals far worse than what you are going to run into in a renovation. If the house was built in 1977 I'd be more concerned with lead in the paint so be sure there is fresh paint since 1979 when it was banned or simply paint over the existing.

We addressed popcorn ceilings by scraping off and then having our drywall crew spray a knock down finish.  Faster and cheaper than sanding and doing a flat coat.  Especially if the popcorn was previously painted because it doesn't always come off easily.  DO NOT just scrape and paint!  If you leave gouges in the ceiling they will show and buyers will notice.  Make sure your flip looks professional and finished.  I've seen bad flips sit and sit on the market because they weren't fooling anyone.  Oh, and a piece of advice.  One of the biggest impacts you can make on a flip is to replace the flat panel doors with new masonite panel doors (different types of styles).  Find a door company that will match the hinges and bore holes to the original doors.  It usually costs about $75-85 a door (including the cost of the door), but so worth it.  Just make sure you mark where each door goes.