Buying Parents a Home - best way to set it up?

Buying Parents a Home - best way to set it up?

Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hey guys, first time poster..... Thanks for reading and responding to this. 

I am going to be setting aside a comfortable amount of money into a dedicated bank account for my parents to purchase their "forever" home in Richmond, VA at Christmas this year. They are currently upside down in their residence (2007 hangover) and this will give them the flexibility they so desperately need.

My question for you experts here is how to best set up the residence itself. I'd like to get some tax advantages off the property, either by putting it in my companies name, getting some sort of "gift" value from it, etc...

I didnt know if I should tell them to buy the house they want, put it in my company name, and then I can take a loss off the "rent" that they dont pay the first few years? Etc... I really have no clue. But I have to imagine, buying someone/giving someone a house - there's got to a very smart way to play it for tax purposes. 

Hope that I conveyed my question/concern. 

Thanks everyone at BP!

0Reply
7 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 69 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    I think the gift exemption only applies to the first $14,000 of value, but you should consult with an attorney on that.

    Buy a house for yourself or your company, and deed them a life estate.

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Have you looked into co-signing on a mortgage and making the payments? Should be a pretty quick process asumming their credit score/incomes dont eliminate your chances of getting a mortgage. Congrats on being able to help your parents! Definitely a goal of mine as well.

  • Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 490 votes
    9y

    I like Matthew's idea! I can't think of anything else.

  • Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Lindquist:

    Have you looked into co-signing on a mortgage and making the payments? Should be a pretty quick process asumming their credit score/incomes dont eliminate your chances of getting a mortgage. Congrats on being able to help your parents! Definitely a goal of mine as well.

     Thanks team, appreciate the feedback. Since I will be paying it in full, I would not be doing a mortgage - unless there were significant offsetting write offs to accompany such a move. 

    Thanks again for your ideas guys... and kudos. Love the site. 

    Anything else pops up in your heads, simply let me know. 

  • Point Roberts, WA · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 18 votes
    9y

    I would consult a law firm with specialists in tax and real estate and create a strategy.  There are structures which could be used to both your and your parent's advantage in both taxes and long term rewards.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.