Skip to content
Off Topic

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Shelton
  • Debary, FL
Votes |
Ever think you were built for real estate?

Stephen Shelton
  • Debary, FL
Posted May 16 2018, 21:10

Spoiler alert: this is pure silliness with a dash of depth.

Some were called to be doctors, innovators, engineers, or sheep wolves to protect us all. I now believe I was born to be Stanley Roper.

Growing up I absolutely loved Three's Company. I still do, and I spent an unusual amount of time pondering Mr. Roper's life: he appeared to live comfortably by renting out a series of apartments and even managed to sell that statement complex and buy a house and live without a traditional job. How many rentals did he have? How much did he gain by selling it?

I envied Stanley Roper.

Flash-forward: remember Perfect Strangers? I remember this series fondly as "Coooosin" Larry frequently acted in haste to better himself while the humble Balki would stop to smell the roses. I remember the basics on the long-term story arcs, but aside from the bibby-babka show I don't really remember episodes... except one. Larry bought a house to flip (I don't remember if that word was used then) and had to finish in 30 days. At the last minute he decided to increase value by adding a chandelier, it almost detailed the project, hilarity ensued, and in the end they got it installed. Coooooousin Larry learned a valuable life lesson on being happy without being so aggressive.

Why the h#ll do I remember this episode so vividly when I haven't seen any episode in a quarter century? I think it's because I've been built for this industry. I just like this stuff.

I remember pondering on investing in real estate around 1999, and again in 2008 but (LOL) it seemed like the stuff out of sitcoms and not reality. No one "really" invested in rental properties, right?

Ugh. If I only took it seriously in 2008 I'd be a tycoon today lol.

Loading replies...