Seeking good accountant for REI in Lexington, KY

Seeking good accountant for REI in Lexington, KY

Lexington, KY · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 0 votes

Hi group- I've been using a good general accountant for my taxes (personal and RE LLC) for the last few years, but she doesn't seem well versed in Real Estate.

I own 2 single family homes in Lexington, and am now buying a vacation rental in FL. With the new property, and the new tax law, I'm looking for an accountant in the Lexington area who specializes in taxes for Real Estate investors. Any recommendations?

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler · Newport, KY · Member since 2014 · 62 posts · 47 votes
8y

@Mike Charles I don't unfortunately but I learned a valuable lesson from Brandon Turner.  He advised that the best time to find someone is before you need them.  That covers all trades such as HVAC, Handyman etc but I've added an accountant to my list.  

With that said, good accountants are tough to find because I have a great one but he doesn't take on new clients. With that said, I'd reach out to your local REIA and ask other investors who they use and that may help you find a great local accountant.

Good luck in your search and I hope this was helpful,

Cheers,

Garth 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Newport, KY · Member since 2014 · 62 posts · 47 votes
    8y

    @Mike Charles I don't unfortunately but I learned a valuable lesson from Brandon Turner.  He advised that the best time to find someone is before you need them.  That covers all trades such as HVAC, Handyman etc but I've added an accountant to my list.  

    With that said, good accountants are tough to find because I have a great one but he doesn't take on new clients. With that said, I'd reach out to your local REIA and ask other investors who they use and that may help you find a great local accountant.

    Good luck in your search and I hope this was helpful,

    Cheers,

    Garth 

  • James WilcoxBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Bowling Green KY ~ Lexington, KY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    8y

    @Mike Charles if you are looking for someone to just do your taxes and give advice on just that then I suggest Dillon Tax Service. All they do is tax preparation and is family owned. They are reasonable and give free tax advice. They are on summer hours now but you can look them up and give them a call and see if they fit your needs.

    REI James w/ eXp Realty54 Reviews
  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Garth Kukla Thanks for the advice. I need to get plugged in to the REIA.

    @James Wilcox Thank you. I'll reach out to Dillon Tax Service. I am just looking for tax prep and advice on how to best structure my investments.

  • Mark S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · KY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 538 votes
    8y
    Mike Charles , does it have to be someone local? I hired a REI-focused CPA that I connected with on BP to work with me. He’s out of state and we work remotely. Is that something you’re open to? If it is, you might look for one right here on BP.
  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Mark S. - No. I suppose it could be someone out of state. How did you find yours? I'm new to BP and not sure best ways to connect.

  • Daniel HymanBusiness Member
    CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Mike Charles

    If you can find a local pro that specializes in real estate, that's great. If not, check around the BP forums and reach out to a pro that will give you a complimentary consultation. 

    My Online Accountant572 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.