Best Cash Flow Towns in MA

37 Replies

Hi everyone, I'm currently looking for towns in MA where I can find good cash flowing multi families.  I'm currently looking at Worcester, New Bedford, Fall River, and Wareham.  The latter three I'm not really that interested in to be honest, but the prices are so low that I figured I'd keep an eye on them.  Worcester seems the most promising from my initial searches.  Also open to Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Maine, but my preference is MA.  (PS. I've been flipping and doing new construction projects in the Boston area since 2015 and happy to give whatever advice I can on that topic if anyone wants to message me.)

@Nick E. Lynn can be a great opportunity if you know what areas to look in

@Nick E.

Worcester does have some nice pockets, it varies street by street 

New Bedford has great opportunity. I own a 3 family in the city and it’s a great property. Like any city, you just have to be selective with your neighborhoods. I’m happy to provide any insight I can! 

@Nick E. you should come by our meetup in a few weeks - it's a good group of MFH investors and good representation across the state. 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/552319-boston-multifamily-investor-meetup

The Greater Fall River area currently has some great opportunities for multi & single family homes. Rents are rising and now is a great time to invest in this area. Amazon currently has a 1 million sq ft warehouse in the north end of Fall River and south coast rail connecting to Boston is scheduled to arrive within the next few year.  

This post has been removed.

@Nick E. sounds like you have been doing your homework! I like investing in the  Springfield market. My new project is going to be in Newton. You can find a good deal in any city if you look hard enough. Networking with the right people will also help too. 

@Nick E. have you done any thinking/research on the Holyoke, Chicopee, Sprinfield area?

The first two cities mentioned I would personally recommend, however I have gotten positive feedback from the Spfld area depending on whereabouts in the city.

Generally where do you like to see your CoC return percentages?

I ditto Lynn, I think you can find some pretty good opportunities there

Lowell, Methuen. Also Nashua, NH has some great opportunities. It's right over the boarder.

Originally posted by @Patrick Hermans :

@Nick E. Lynn can be a great opportunity if you know what areas to look in

I'll keep an eye on Lynn.  Thanks for the advice.  I had been looking at it for a while earlier this year and the prices seemed somewhat tight vs. the rents.

Originally posted by @Steve Bracero :

@Nick E.

Worcester does have some nice pockets, it varies street by street 

Do  you have any insight which areas are nicer?  I'm mostly judging by proximity to colleges.  Any places you think I should avoid?

Originally posted by @Aaron Araujo :

New Bedford has great opportunity. I own a 3 family in the city and it’s a great property. Like any city, you just have to be selective with your neighborhoods. I’m happy to provide any insight I can! 

Thanks Aaron.  What neighborhoods do you recommend to look into or to avoid?

Originally posted by @James E. :

@Nick E. you should come by our meetup in a few weeks - it's a good group of MFH investors and good representation across the state. 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/552319-boston-multifamily-investor-meetup

Thanks for the recommendation,  James.  My wife and I will try to make it over there.  Potentially also my business partner.  Just finished a 2 family new construction project in Somerville, actually. 

Originally posted by @Fred Medeiros :

The Greater Fall River area currently has some great opportunities for multi & single family homes. Rents are rising and now is a great time to invest in this area. Amazon currently has a 1 million sq ft warehouse in the north end of Fall River and south coast rail connecting to Boston is scheduled to arrive within the next few year.  

Thanks for the advice, Fred.  Is there documentation showing where the train stations will be?

Originally posted by @Josue Velney :

@Nick E. sounds like you have been doing your homework! I like investing in the  Springfield market. My new project is going to be in Newton. You can find a good deal in any city if you look hard enough. Networking with the right people will also help too. 

Thanks Josue.  I've done a little, haha, but still need to do more.  What are you doing in Newton?

Originally posted by @Ryan Jopson :

@Nick E. have you done any thinking/research on the Holyoke, Chicopee, Sprinfield area?

The first two cities mentioned I would personally recommend, however I have gotten positive feedback from the Spfld area depending on whereabouts in the city.

Generally where do you like to see your CoC return percentages?

We were hoping for >10% CoC with conservative expense estimates. I will look into the towns you recommended. Thanks Ryan.

Originally posted by @Sarah McCoy :

Lowell, Methuen. Also Nashua, NH has some great opportunities. It's right over the boarder.

Thanks Sarah.  I've actually been looking into Lowell too and forgot to mention that.  I'll add Methuen and Nashua to my searches.  

Hi @Nick E., my company Winter Hill Homes is going to turn a single family into a two family. We are planning on adding a lot of value, full gut job. Something about turn an ugly property into some thing beautiful gets me excited.  

@Nick E.

The West side (Typically 01602) is a nicer area, Near Worc. State is also a good area, Clark also does not have tons of student housing as well, but a rougher area- 

Are you considering getting into student housing? Many of the college campus have limited student housing 

I've seen a lot of inventory available in Lynn.  Which areas are good vs to be avoided at all costs?  I keep hearing bad things about Lynn, but it doesn't make sense to me as a newbie to Mass.  Close to beach (Nahant is great) and close to public transport....what's the problem?

The greater Fall River area in the southcoast is prime right now. 

Originally posted by @Josue Velney :

Hi @Nick E., my company Winter Hill Homes is going to turn a single family into a two family. We are planning on adding a lot of value, full gut job. Something about turn an ugly property into some thing beautiful gets me excited.  

Good luck.  We have done some single family rehabs in Newton in the past as well.

Originally posted by @Steve Bracero :

@Nick E.

The West side (Typically 01602) is a nicer area, Near Worc. State is also a good area, Clark also does not have tons of student housing as well, but a rougher area- 

Are you considering getting into student housing? Many of the college campus have limited student housing 

Yes, student housing is interesting to me.  Good to know about the limited student housing on campus.  I'm definitely open to it.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.