Minneapolis ordinance to prevent tenant screening

16 Replies

This is not good for Minneapolis.

MINNEAPOLIS (FOX 9) - The Minneapolis City Council voted unanimously Friday morning to approve a controversial new ordinance designed to protect renters.

The ordinance prevents landlords from using old criminal or housing records to deny applicants. 

Previously, property owners could look at someone’s criminal and credit history before renting to them, sometimes going back a decade. Renters said mistakes of the past should not affect their future, especially something from ten or twenty years ago.

The ordinance passed 12-0.

Under the proposed rule, landlords can’t deny an applicant on the basis of a misdemeanor if the conviction is older than three years and felonies seven years or older, and in certain cases of arson, assault or robbery, convictions more than 10 years old. The ordinance would not allow eviction judgments to be disqualifying if they happened three or more years earlier.

The ordinance would also limit how credit screenings are used, including preventing landlords from denying an applicant because of insufficient credit history. The proposed ordinance would also cap the amount landlords can charge for a security deposit at a month’s rent.

.... and then will come the rent control, and then will come higher taxes, and then will come harder evictions. 

Nothing like having other people tell you what you have to do with your property.  

Promotion
BiggerPockets
Hard Money Lending Directory
Find Hard Money Lenders in Minnesota!
BiggerPockets Lending Directory
Find Lenders Now!

I agree that it’s going to add another headache, but I don’t feel these actions are actually going to achieve the goals the city is looking for in regards to more affordable housing for the intended democratic. As landlords we still will be vetting our prospective tenants for income, employment and payment history among other things. By putting more restrictions on landlords, I feel it may only increase rents down the road and if it scares a few landlords off so be it. There is always room for the savvy investors.

That being said I am not a fan more restrictions.

Originally posted by @Amber Gonion :

This is not good for Minneapolis.

MINNEAPOLIS (FOX 9) - The Minneapolis City Council voted unanimously Friday morning to approve a controversial new ordinance designed to protect renters.

The ordinance prevents landlords from using old criminal or housing records to deny applicants. 

Previously, property owners could look at someone’s criminal and credit history before renting to them, sometimes going back a decade. Renters said mistakes of the past should not affect their future, especially something from ten or twenty years ago.

The ordinance passed 12-0.

Lol wow. Ya know it's stuff like this that makes me scratch my head when people claim politics has nothing to do with real estate investing.....Politics has got A LOT to do with real estate investing.

This seems really negative for the city, I just moved here and am looking for a deal. Maybe section 8 with a property manager will be best option going forward in the Minneapolis area??

The only part of this ruling that would give me real heartache is the inability to deny people who still owe landlords money.  I don’t care how old the judgement is. People have things happen, and learn to grow past them, I agree. if someone had a landlord judgment that is reported as satisfied, they show good character. No matter how old, if they have an unpaid judgment, this is an indication they feel entitled and will not fix things they break and will feel they can just ignore debts if they get in a tough spot in the future past performance is the best predictive of future success.

Once again, I am SO happy to be landlording in Virginia. I feel for you guys!