NJ Landlord tenant law

6 Replies

Can someone direct me to where I can gain access to the landlord-tenant laws in NJ? I've tried google searches but haven't been able to find exactly what I am looking for. The NJ site isn't very helpful either. Is there a document out there that I can download? Where do other NJ landlords get your legal advice from? I know I can easily speak with my attorney but I hate asking a 2 minute question and getting billed for it.

Thanks

Steve

@Steve Boianelli go to a site called Landlordology.com and there’s a link for State Laws and Regulations. You’ll find state specific laws. Hope that helps. It’s also good to have a good lawyer that knows the law. 

Originally posted by @Steve Boianelli :

Can someone direct me to where I can gain access to the landlord-tenant laws in NJ? I've tried google searches but haven't been able to find exactly what I am looking for. The NJ site isn't very helpful either. Is there a document out there that I can download? Where do other NJ landlords get your legal advice from? I know I can easily speak with my attorney but I hate asking a 2 minute question and getting billed for it.

Thanks

Steve

this is the only place i know of where the laws are listed

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/offices...

@Rob A. Thanks! I frequently refer to that site. I wasn't sure if there was other information out there I should also know about. 

Hi Steve,

The previous responses cover state law info, but I also highly suggest you look into individual towns regarding rent control. Some towns have brutal rent control (Hoboken) whereas others not so much. Overall thought NJ is very heavy tenants rights leaning so keep that in mind. There are also towns that have categories of 'protected' tenancies and those can get complicated. 

So the answer to your question might be different then the state allows depending on the town. You might  need to call the rent control office for an individual town to find the answer your looking for. What town is it?

Tania

@Tania Patch I have properties in Pleasantville, NJ. I'll have to check with the town. I'm always battling with them about failed inspections and violation notices from the inspectors in that town. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.