North Carolina Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Ravi B.
Votes |
Buyer Beware Alert - Builder

Ravi B.
Posted Oct 20 2021, 10:44

Wanted to post here to warn investors about a builder in the Triad/Triangle area called Keystone Homes.  Bought a brand new townhome from Keystone Homes that immediately after closing had a raw sewage leak that covered the first floor in feces. Unfortunately, the plumber was very familiar with the issue as this has happened with other Keystone Homes. We wrote and tried to engage in dialogue with the builder for two months to get compensation for our damages, which they declined. Keystone could have chosen to do the right thing, but by reading their complaints on the BBB and other sources, it is clear that this is an unprofessional and unethical company. We got no reassurances for long term damage to our home as well, which we are still investigating. They repaired the leak/piping, but nothing beyond that. 

I went to every local and state board as well as consulting an attorney.  Builder finally came back two months after numerous emails/phone calls and said "they are not responsible for consequential damages"; the language poached out of their contract.  I know contracts favor builders, but I guess I was under the assumption they would do the right thing.  I could understand if this was an older unit, and given we purchased two units from them (both had raw sewage leaks), that they would at least try to meet us in the middle. Attorney advised we don't have much recourse given the language in the contract.  The plumbing issue is just one of the numerous defects in the home as well.  

Buyers stay away if you want to avoid disaster.

Loading replies...