Columbus vs. Cleveland

25 Replies

Hello Bigger Pockets Community, 

As a student at The Ohio State University, I have begun to dive into the Columbus market. So far I have enjoyed learning about Columbus and the recent trends/developments that impact it everyday. On the "Ohio" forums I often see investors talking about the Cleveland market as well. My first time in Cleveland was 2 weeks ago, I loved the area and would love to learn more about the market.  

My question for you all is, What are some big differences between Columbus and Cleveland? Overall how would you describe the difference or similarities in each market and the factors that impact them? 

One city is growing in population the other is shrinking, in my mind the choice is clear if it is between those two.  However for max cash flow investors they may come to a different conclusion.

As a new investor in Columbus, it is very hard to find solid deals ( 8% COC and up) on a SFH in B/C areas as it is a very hot market those days. I have a lot of friends that invest in Clevland and see great returns.

I would agree with @Aaron K. ! Both cities have different pros and cons. You can usually find better cash-flow in Clevland but the overall trajectory of Columbus is better in my opinion due to the population growth @Abe McLaurin .

Originally posted by @Omer Zakai :

As a new investor in Columbus, it is very hard to find solid deals ( 8% COC and up) on a SFH in B/C areas as it is a very hot market those days. I have a lot of friends that invest in Clevland and see great returns.

You can find those returns in the Columbus suburbs. @Sharanpal Singh Sandhu What do you calculate your COC return at for yours?

Originally posted by @Abe McLaurin :

Hello Bigger Pockets Community, 

As a student at The Ohio State University, I have begun to dive into the Columbus market. So far I have enjoyed learning about Columbus and the recent trends/developments that impact it everyday. On the "Ohio" forums I often see investors talking about the Cleveland market as well. My first time in Cleveland was 2 weeks ago, I loved the area and would love to learn more about the market.  

My question for you all is, What are some big differences between Columbus and Cleveland? Overall how would you describe the difference or similarities in each market and the factors that impact them? 

Both are great. I think Columbus may have a few too many investors for my liking. Cleveland is still pretty untapped. You don't have as much competition when making offers.