Real Estate Developers & Custom Homes?

29 Replies

Hey guys, I am a General Contractor from Upstate NY. I am looking to get out of NY and it looks like we will be landing in the Bend Oregon area. The prices for pre-existing homes are through the roof and home prices in general are very high. We are able to build 2,200 sq/ft homes, higher end for under $200k in NY and I can't see anything that would increase our costs much simply by relocating. A 2,200 sq/ft home here we are listing for $350k-$370k, based on what I am seeing on Zillow in the Bend Oregon area, it seems similar houses are selling for 200k+ for the same product. I am looking for any information and input you guys may have on the market, what would a good area be for me to buy land and throw up a little house to live in?

I am interesting in connecting with investors in the area who have knowledge in real estate development or have an interest in being involved in it. A properly built home can result in an excellent profit for the developer. The developers I am working with here, for example on the next home we build; his cost to have us build it will be $260k, he has $10k into the property now, probably $20k all in. The home will list for $365k, giving him a big profit. Our average turn around on a new build is 3-3 1/2 months and we can run 2 builds at a time.

Hi Ronald,

I work in real estate development and construction finance, I have only been at it for a couple years now so Im no guru, but I will do my best to answer your questions!

First, you should get connected with the Central Oregon Builders Association, they are a great resource for local home builders. Membership is only a couple hundred dollars a year and they will get you connected to the local industry. They facilitate cooperation with the local government on permitting issues, organize pro-builder political action, keep a database of local subcontractors and host a bidding platform, and they put on the annual Tour of Homes which could be a good way to showcase your work when you get settled in here. Their website is www.COBA.org

Regarding the cost of construction in Central Oregon, I'm not here to tell you what you can or can not do but I will say that I don't know anyone able to build here for under $90 a square foot like you are doing in NY. In the last recession we lost a lot of our trades people and the workforce hasn't quite caught up with the market again, this drives up labor costs. The median home price in Bend is $450k and I think theres a strong market for new homes around that price range.

Redmond Oregon is Bend's sister city and generally has cheaper land and lower home values. La Pine and Prineville are other nearby markets you could look into.

Tennant Developments currently has lots available in some of our neighborhoods, Hidden Hills (South East Bend) and Canyon Rim Village (Redmond).

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions, I will do my best to answer them!

Originally posted by @Grayson Graham :

Hi Ronald,

I work in real estate development and construction finance, I have only been at it for a couple years now so Im no guru, but I will do my best to answer your questions!

First, you should get connected with the Central Oregon Builders Association, they are a great resource for local home builders. Membership is only a couple hundred dollars a year and they will get you connected to the local industry. They facilitate cooperation with the local government on permitting issues, organize pro-builder political action, keep a database of local subcontractors and host a bidding platform, and they put on the annual Tour of Homes which could be a good way to showcase your work when you get settled in here. Their website is www.COBA.org

Regarding the cost of construction in Central Oregon, I'm not here to tell you what you can or can not do but I will say that I don't know anyone able to build here for under $90 a square foot like you are doing in NY. In the last recession we lost a lot of our trades people and the workforce hasn't quite caught up with the market again, this drives up labor costs. The median home price in Bend is $450k and I think theres a strong market for new homes around that price range.

Redmond Oregon is Bend's sister city and generally has cheaper land and lower home values. La Pine and Prineville are other nearby markets you could look into.

Tennant Developments currently has lots available in some of our neighborhoods, Hidden Hills (South East Bend) and Canyon Rim Village (Redmond).

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions, I will do my best to answer them!

do keep in mind lots are 75k to 200k in these areas.. and not sure SDC fees in Bend but over in the Valley ( Willamette) they run basically from 20 to 60k per house.. before you put a spade in the ground..

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :
Originally posted by @Grayson Graham:

Hi Ronald,

do keep in mind lots are 75k to 200k in these areas.. and not sure SDC fees in Bend but over in the Valley ( Willamette) they run basically from 20 to 60k per house.. before you put a spade in the ground..

The cost of lot and lot development has been what we've been looking into the most. We are bringing a whole crew from NY with us so I think our labor costs will be okay. We do pay $15 for our lowest paid workers and up to $35 an hour for our foreman, hopefully the cost of bringing in others isn't too much greater. Our foundation and excavation work here in NY is about $20,000-$25,000 for a 30x40 home with a basement. I spoke with a broker in Bend who mentioned that you guys typically do not use basements there? 

If we were to build a property for $90/sqft. 2 Story, living space above garage, 2,000 sq/ft we'd be at $180,000.00 to build the property though I think the cost would be slightly less when considering no below grade basement, let's be safe and assume a $180k build price. $50k lot, $20k lot development (including permits and zoning here). We're looking at a $200k net profit after a 3-4 month build, we run two builds concurrently in NY but we stagger our foundations and site prep with the framers so the stagger would be a little different since the foundations would be much quicker in Oregon if we do not dig basements. 

If we are to develop and sell these ourselves we'd be sitting around $80-$100k / profit per month which I think is pretty fair. The problem here in NY is that some of these properties sit on the market too long which hinders growth. We also have to look into the SDC fees that you mentioned. It looks like there are some good lots to be found, certainly more difficult if we were to scale and want to develop small communities but I think if we are building 1-2 spec homes at a time we should be okay. 

This 2 acre lot for $75k for example I think we could explore approval to build 2 homes. 

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/land_type/2107917576_zpid/0-300000_price/0-1165_mp/globalrelevanceex_sort/45.816837,-121.973648,45.047815,-123.449936_rect/9_zm/

Take a look at our costs for a recent build here in NY. Our labor costs were actually less than our estimation.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17N2cYX7Xga...

Originally posted by @Ronald Starusnak :
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
Originally posted by @Grayson Graham:

Hi Ronald,

The cost of lot and lot development has been what we've been looking into the most. We are bringing a whole crew from NY with us so I think our labor costs will be okay. We do pay $15 for our lowest paid workers and up to $35 an hour for our foreman, hopefully the cost of bringing in others isn't too much greater. Our foundation and excavation work here in NY is about $20,000-$25,000 for a 30x40 home with a basement. I spoke with a broker in Bend who mentioned that you guys typically do not use basements there? 

If we were to build a property for $90/sqft. 2 Story, living space above garage, 2,000 sq/ft we'd be at $180,000.00 to build the property though I think the cost would be slightly less when considering no below grade basement, let's be safe and assume a $180k build price. $50k lot, $20k lot development (including permits and zoning here). We're looking at a $200k net profit after a 3-4 month build, we run two builds concurrently in NY but we stagger our foundations and site prep with the framers so the stagger would be a little different since the foundations would be much quicker in Oregon if we do not dig basements. 

If we are to develop and sell these ourselves we'd be sitting around $80-$100k / profit per month which I think is pretty fair. The problem here in NY is that some of these properties sit on the market too long which hinders growth. We also have to look into the SDC fees that you mentioned. It looks like there are some good lots to be found, certainly more difficult if we were to scale and want to develop small communities but I think if we are building 1-2 spec homes at a time we should be okay. 

This 2 acre lot for $75k for example I think we could explore approval to build 2 homes. 

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/land_type/21...

Take a look at our costs for a recent build here in NY. Our labor costs were actually less than our estimation.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17N2cYX7Xga...

Too funny I know that lot well.. I have logged all over that area.. that lot is VERY steep.. no way to split  it and well and septic will run you easy 50 to 75k on that parcel .. also keep in mind its VERY difficult to split lots.. and if they can easily be split usually price will reflect that.

I have 3 semi rural lots 1.5 for two of them and then 3.5 acres with 500 ft of Deep Creek frontage stunning site.. its in an area called Barton if you google it you will see a corner gas station we are the property right to the north. when you get here maybe I will let you build on one of the smaller ones for a JV type arrangement.. that way you don't have to pay for the dirt up front.. Just to see how you do

That would be fantastic. Looking them up now. We can dig septic as well by the way. We have heavy equipment. Excavators, Back Hoe, Skid Steer, etc. We can excavate but with the foundations I like the let a special company come in usually because if we're off a hair on the walls it will make the whole build 20x more difficult. In regards to the septic, I think it would need to be signed off by a licensed plumber like it is here? We run our own septic tanks and lines, they do the final little hook up and then sign off on the work and we close them in. 

We were looking primarily at the Bend area but to avoid some culture shock in reference to the landscape, I think we will venture closer to Portland so we will be working much closer to you! haha. 

Not to mention, it may be difficult carting that equipment across the country.

@Ronald Starusnak , How did you get to those build costs of $90/sf? Thats extremely cheap for the PNW, especially in popular areas. Its not uncommon to reach 130-150/sf for SFH. I know you are bringing your own crew but did you count the increase in price of materials? Also, don't be surprised if the local contractors you do have to hire find out your not local and start charging a premium.

Nik, we build the houses ourselves.. Don't know where all of the confusion is coming from. There's no way $150/sqft is your builders cost to build. If you are hiring a builder then maybe they are charging you $150 a ft. If they're claiming the cost to build is $150 a ft then you need to look and see if they have a profit in there somewhere. If they don't have profit in there then they're not really builders and they're really just paper pushers that hire sub contractors to do all of the work. 

Lumber availability, Shingle, stone, insulation, these are materials shipped in from other countries and states and the costs between states aren't going to be that significant especially when dealing with national suppliers. Not to mention, the materials in NY are razed at nearly 10% and from my understanding Or has no sales tax? That sounds like a savings right there as well.

Getting back to your point, $150 a ft is the national average to build a house WHEN hired specifically by a homeowner to build them a house. The builders cost is not $150. Our cost in materials and labor is lower than $90 even, here in NY we are building at $72 a ft and charging $120 to build it and we profit about $90-$100k on an average sized home. Check the spreadsheet I linked to see our coats vs profit. 

I would get some prices from the trades, electric, plumbing, hvac.  In my area, 3 hrs north, the guys charge 50% more so your cost per sqft might jump up big time.  I would price out an entire house, and do some serious home work before you jump ship and move.

I can build for about 110sqft within 1 hr of my home base, 4 hrs north I can't build for less than 175sqft. Learned my less the hard way on that one.

WOW, $150 ft seems really low! In my market SoCal, as a GC I'm quoting $300-350 ft but that would include a pool and landscaping.

There are also the cost plans, permits, developer fees, sewer and water connection fees that add another 10-15%

Originally posted by @Michael Evans :

WOW, $150 ft seems really low! In my market SoCal, as a GC I'm quoting $300-350 ft but that would include a pool and landscaping.

There are also the cost plans, permits, developer fees, sewer and water connection fees that add another 10-15%

The guy we build for $120 wants us to build for $90 a ft here and they're getting it done with pretty decent properties as well. Pretty crazy.

Originally posted by @Tim Johnson :

I would get some prices from the trades, electric, plumbing, hvac.  In my area, 3 hrs north, the guys charge 50% more so your cost per sqft might jump up big time.  I would price out an entire house, and do some serious home work before you jump ship and move.

I can build for about 110sqft within 1 hr of my home base, 4 hrs north I can't build for less than 175sqft. Learned my less the hard way on that one.

What are the largest cost differences that you've noticed? We're not heading out there until December or so, the time in between is to be spent on research and website development. I've already started our website and SEO to rank on some popular search terms. 

Originally posted by @Ronald Starusnak :

Nik, we build the houses ourselves.. Don't know where all of the confusion is coming from. There's no way $150/sqft is your builders cost to build. If you are hiring a builder then maybe they are charging you $150 a ft. If they're claiming the cost to build is $150 a ft then you need to look and see if they have a profit in there somewhere. If they don't have profit in there then they're not really builders and they're really just paper pushers that hire sub contractors to do all of the work. 

Lumber availability, Shingle, stone, insulation, these are materials shipped in from other countries and states and the costs between states aren't going to be that significant especially when dealing with national suppliers. Not to mention, the materials in NY are razed at nearly 10% and from my understanding Or has no sales tax? That sounds like a savings right there as well.

Getting back to your point, $150 a ft is the national average to build a house WHEN hired specifically by a homeowner to build them a house. The builders cost is not $150. Our cost in materials and labor is lower than $90 even, here in NY we are building at $72 a ft and charging $120 to build it and we profit about $90-$100k on an average sized home. Check the spreadsheet I linked to see our coats vs profit. 

I'm not sure if thats with profit or not. New houses, similar to what you have stated, are selling for about $200-220/sf here. Our market prices are a little lower than Bends but not much. I think the median was $420k-ish. So even if you do a 50% profit thats still WAY above your 90/sf.

Don't be so easy to shrug off material cost differences either. Prices here are higher, both because of taxes and tariffs as well as demand. If you ship them direct from other countries are states you still have the cost of shipping which makes any savings marginal and also longer lead times.  

I'm not here to try and argue your numbers are wrong. You're experienced enough to know how to run those. All I'm suggesting is you really double check your numbers bc they seem low to me. You could be right too. But just throwing some extra caution your way is all. And if you do get those build in th 90/sf range I will be trying to convince you to come up my way lol. We can  team up to do some builds. The housing market in my area is hot and in high demand. 

Originally posted by @Nik Moushon :
Originally posted by @Ronald Starusnak:

I'm not sure if thats with profit or not. New houses, similar to what you have stated, are selling for about $200-220/sf here. Our market prices are a little lower than Bends but not much. I think the median was $420k-ish. So even if you do a 50% profit thats still WAY above your 90/sf.

Don't be so easy to shrug off material cost differences either. Prices here are higher, both because of taxes and tariffs as well as demand. If you ship them direct from other countries are states you still have the cost of shipping which makes any savings marginal and also longer lead times.  

I'm not here to try and argue your numbers are wrong. You're experienced enough to know how to run those. All I'm suggesting is you really double check your numbers bc they seem low to me. You could be right too. But just throwing some extra caution your way is all. And if you do get those build in th 90/sf range I will be trying to convince you to come up my way lol. We can  team up to do some builds. The housing market in my area is hot and in high demand. 

I'll look into it, I think the $150 sq/ft is including profit. That's almost exactly the national retail average cost to build a mid-range house. I analyze and perhaps over analyze everything that I do. I am a nerd first and an investor and contractors 2nd! haha, I just looked up the pricing because you guys brought it up. Check out contractortalk.com to see what other builders are building for. We're talking $60-$65 a foot to build a basic spec house without any fancy finishes. This is about what we're seeing here. I simply can't imagine costs more than doubling because the housing market isn't double there, sure the prices are higher but they're certainly not double unless we're considering costs that I am not yet aware of. 

https://www.contractortalk.com/f4/average-how-much-do-builders-charge-build-house-10454/

To give you an idea.  3-4 hrs north of me in Michigan, I call it the golden hammer triangle.  Those guys will basically work 3 months of the year only when the weather is perfect, no hunting, and the fish can't be biting, and its not to nice out for golf.  They charge double what we do down south and all the builders do it.  I thought I could make it work, but the locals catch on and then they all put the squeeze on you and you will end up paying to ship people from different areas to get the work completed.  And forgot about your schedule because everything takes 4x as long.

Everything costs more up there.  If you need to run to the supply house to get something, its about 2 hrs round trip vs down south I can get anything in under 1hr time and we can have supply houses ship for free. Up north they charge $100 to even start the truck.  Total different world and crazy.

Use some basic stuff.  2000sqft ranch style house.  

electric rough- 11k Normal  15k North

Plumbing 10k Normal 16k north

HVAC 10k Normal 15k north

Foundation 20k normal 32k North

Dirt work- 10k normal 20k north

Lumber pack- 26k normal 40k north

The northern supply houses don't do the volume they do down south and they have golden hammers.  Before you move I would travel out there for a week and do some serious meetings on pricing because they might have golden hammers.

Your electrical plumbing and HVAC are double what my costs are here just to start, same with the excavation. That looks like it could be a big cost difference right there. Have you considered having your in-house guys doing all the rough in and just having the licensed sign off on the work? Here in some cities we have to have the plumber pull the permit, they let us do the work, then they inspect it and sign off on it and we also pay them for each inspection and correct it as we go. We can plumb a hole house in 2-3 days with 2 guys if we're using pex. That's about $2,400 in labor on the high end and then our materials will be under 3k. Few rolls of pex, water heater, shut offs. 

@Ronald Starusnak I’m not here to discourage you but Oregon is a lot different than New York.  We are also up to peak prices currently.  No one is coming here building and becoming wealthy and there is already what I think is an oversaturation of homes under construction.  Research the bell curves in particular in Bend.  You might be surprised.  

@Ronald Starusnak I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there's no way you're going to build for $90 a foot in Bend. The market is seasonal (as is yours I'm sure), and subs are slammed when the weather clears. They charge top dollar. Electrical must be done by a licensed electrician. Licensed electricians are in short supply due to the data center (?) that is being built by one of the tech giants in Prineville. Getting a plumber or other licensed trade to allow you to use their license and sign off on it is against the law, and Oregon is very aggressive in enforcing laws.

I'd get up to speed on the licensing laws in Oregon before you move, because when we went up we ended up getting a 1000 fine because we weren't licensed as developers, even though we had a licensed general building the house, but because we hired him, it was considered development. (I am licensed in CA and have been since 1993, but Oregon has their own laws, and you need to know them, my son actually got licensed in Oregon but we still got the fine because I called up subs to schedule stuff so was considered acting as a developer - and we owned the land)  Lumber costs on our job went up almost 20% from the time we bid it out to the time we started due to the tariffs. 

One of the great things about Oregon is there is no sales tax. But there is a hefty income tax and property tax. 

Add to all of that, you're bringing people with you, and then they have to find a place to live themselves, so be sure to look at housing, because it's very expensive, and $15 an hr workers struggle. 

On the upside, with all of your equipment, rather than constructing houses, you may want to do dirt work. 

Originally posted by Account Closed:

@Ronald Starusnak I’m not here to discourage you but Oregon is a lot different than New York.  We are also up to peak prices currently.  No one is coming here building and becoming wealthy and there is already what I think is an oversaturation of homes under construction.  Research the bell curves in particular in Bend.  You might be surprised.  

Karen, I think the exact opposite is happening. There is a major housing shortage in Oregon. That's why the prices are so high. Supply and demand. 

PS its rare to build basements except in certain markets were lot coverage and solar set backs are such that you need to go down to get sq ft..  and you have a lots of rock and volcanic rock here.. 

Also with Bend you have to build for snow loads.. which drive prices up.. plus to be relevant in the market place U need to put Bend style in the houses etc..  

I would pop on Hayden homes website they are the lower end production builder in Central Oregon and Washington. I would look at what they do.

Along with Adair homes.. 

As @Karen Margrave stated the developers license catch's people off guard as I don't think any other state has that layer of licensing..  I got nailed 3 times.. one for 5k and it could have been 100k.. and two little 1k ones.. 

Sub pricing has steadily gone up.. when i started building in Portland area in 2012 I was paying 3.50 a foot to frame included nails and setting windows.. now we are at 7..  Lumber packs have gone up 50% in the last 18 months a 2k sq ft lumber pack can be 30k easy.. when it was 20k a year or so ago. YOu will need to get your electricians license yourself and or have one as an employee.. same with plumbing. 

Market has cooled in the Northwest  thats a fact.. still a shortage of housing in certain areas.. keep in mind Bend is not a major employment center and a lot of what gets sold is vacation seconds homes retirement homes.  You cant compare Bend to the portland area.  

YOu may want to look at Kalamath Falls there are cheap lots there.. but thin market.. my bank owns a slug of them they foreclosed on in 2010.. still have them.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

PS its rare to build basements except in certain markets were lot coverage and solar set backs are such that you need to go down to get sq ft..  and you have a lots of rock and volcanic rock here.. 

Also with Bend you have to build for snow loads.. which drive prices up.. plus to be relevant in the market place U need to put Bend style in the houses etc..  

I would pop on Hayden homes website they are the lower end production builder in Central Oregon and Washington. I would look at what they do.

Along with Adair homes.. 

As @Karen Margrave stated the developers license catch's people off guard as I don't think any other state has that layer of licensing..  I got nailed 3 times.. one for 5k and it could have been 100k.. and two little 1k ones.. 

Sub pricing has steadily gone up.. when i started building in Portland area in 2012 I was paying 3.50 a foot to frame included nails and setting windows.. now we are at 7..  Lumber packs have gone up 50% in the last 18 months a 2k sq ft lumber pack can be 30k easy.. when it was 20k a year or so ago. YOu will need to get your electricians license yourself and or have one as an employee.. same with plumbing. 

Market has cooled in the Northwest  thats a fact.. still a shortage of housing in certain areas.. keep in mind Bend is not a major employment center and a lot of what gets sold is vacation seconds homes retirement homes.  You cant compare Bend to the portland area.  

YOu may want to look at Kalamath Falls there are cheap lots there.. but thin market.. my bank owns a slug of them they foreclosed on in 2010.. still have them.

Thanks Jay. We are certainly going to move closer to the Portland area instead of Bend as initially planned. We are still in the early phases of planning the transition. We build for the biggest snow load in the US here in Upstate NY already. We get the highest annual snow fall and have the highest requirement for insulation R rating. I am going to look into the problems you guys have brought up tomorrow morning. It appears the licensing requirements to become a licensed electrician and plumber are pretty lenient with only having to pass a written test. To acquire a GC license in NY you must know all codes, including electrical and plumbing. Shouldn't be a large hurdle. 

With the investments I hold in NY and we will be leaving our company operating in NY as well, we will have some cushion to push us through should we run into some issues. Thanks for taking the time to read and provide input guys. 

I think it was mentioned above, but I’d strongly suggest you base your cost for materials and labor on the local Oregon prices, and not what you find in NY. 

On the labor side, if you are currently paying $15 to $35 per hour for your in house NY crew, and the Oregon market pays double that...well your in house guys that move with you will jump ship to the other contractors once they find out they can make so much more. And you won’t be able to replace them unless you pay the market rate. 

Originally posted by @Ryan K. :

I think it was mentioned above, but I’d strongly suggest you base your cost for materials and labor on the local Oregon prices, and not what you find in NY. 

On the labor side, if you are currently paying $15 to $35 per hour for your in house NY crew, and the Oregon market pays double that...well your in house guys that move with you will jump ship to the other contractors once they find out they can make so much more. And you won’t be able to replace them unless you pay the market rate. 

Yup low end apartments start at 1000  a month and houses start about 1500.  unless you get a flea trap.

also travel time .. these days it can take 90 minutes to get from one side of the metro area to the other during commute times and even without its 30 to 40 minutes.  

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here