Skip to content
Pennsylvania Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Zack Thiesen
  • Contractor
  • Eureka, CA
Votes |
What is a Millage Rate? (Property Tax Question)

Zack Thiesen
  • Contractor
  • Eureka, CA
Posted Jan 20 2020, 22:09

I'm doing a deep dive on PA property taxes and how they work in different areas and came across Dauphin County's millage rates one-sheet for 2020. There is a number in the end column labeled "TOTAL" and an example at the bottom of the sheet that reads:

"Example: Assessment ($1,000) X Millage Rate (1 Mill or .001) = Real Estate Tax Amount ($1)"

Although, the number from the "TOTAL" column can't possibly be the Millage Rate (Tax Rate?), can it??? I'm seeing 25-37...  unless you pay $1300/mo in prop taxes on your $65k property that rents for $900/month then I must be reading this incorrectly. Even some the other numbers you think it could be don't seem correct when entered into that equation. There is also a great sentence that reads "The charges are included in the above Municipal Rates if applied uniformly to every property; however, some municipalities randomly apply such charges of varying rates."

And seeing tax histories on different properties they are completely different from year to year, sometimes doubling or halving. 

Is there a simpler way to understand tax rates by city or county? It's difficult to imagine making an investment somewhere that you wouldn't know whether your costs would double, or triple etc from year to year. But I am probably missing something. 

Any info is appreciated!

Loading replies...