• Architect
  • Providence, RI
Votes |
Trouble finding qualified tenants in RI + questions about SF

David Sisson
  • Architect
  • Providence, RI
Posted Dec 16 2018, 03:32

So, I'm purchasing my first single family as a rental. East Providence, quiet B neighborhood. 3 beds/2 bath. I'd say that the unit is C+ or B- quality, with the nicer homes in the neighborhood being the owner occupied. It's a big (double) lot. 

I'm struggling with finding tenants who are qualified AND interested. So far, the tenants who are interested, all have felonies and/or don't actually have the money to afford the property. I think I need a reality check on a few items and hoping someone can give some advice. Here's what I'm wondering about, somewhat based on tenant feedback:

1) Rent amount. I'm asking $1550/month. Pet an additional $50 (home lends itself well to a dog because of the big yard)

2) I'm asking the tenants to shovel snow and mow the lawn. (a tenant told me this is illegal, which is clearly not true for a SF, but ??)

3) I'm asking tenants to pay for water. (I'm honestly not sure I can ask for this - I just signed up for water in East Providence, and it seems that it's only property owners who can pay this bill, please advise.)

4) One tenant got VERY angry over my application (which is a standard RI MLS app) because it asks for bank information, including account number. Obviously, I want to see if they actually have a bank account, and see what the balance is, because this is part of the screening process. I've done this for tenants in the past - at my one multi. I don't want to scare off tenants w/the app, but I do want to get enough info to screen. The few apps I've received aren't filled out completely, so I'm not even getting what I want anyway.

In addition to all the above, I'm making the property non-smoking, requiring first month/1 month security deposit, $250 pet deposit, $40/adult for background check (I'd only do this when I'm pretty sure that I'd choose the tenant-gets paid straight to smartmove, so it's not like I'm making money on it). 

Anything above look out of place or wrong? I don't think I'm asking for too much, but since I've shown it about 20 times and only gotten 2 applications, not sure that I'm doing this right. 

Loading replies...