$14,900 for 2 Acre Interior Lot in Lake Keowee - Scam/Legit?

$14,900 for 2 Acre Interior Lot in Lake Keowee - Scam/Legit?

Duluth, GA · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 3 votes

Hello - I had gone to a Liquidation sale in Lake Keowee in August. They advertised sales of $14,9/$19.9 and up. By the time we went there (late evening) all the lots were almost bought up and they had a few facing Lake Keowee at $159k/$169k and up.

I must say that it was exciting to watch. But is the land in Lake Keowee worth it for a buy and hold investor? 

What has your experience been and is it a pump and dump or the real deal?

Thanks!

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
9y

Comparable sales history will tell you part of the answer. I wouldn't call these parcels a "buy and hold" but rather a "speculative" investment. IMO, the time to pick up these type parcels was 6-7 years ago...  others can chime in, but unimproved lots in resort areas can be tricky. I've seen a lot of people overpay for their 'future retirement' location and end up regretting it later.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Comparable sales history will tell you part of the answer. I wouldn't call these parcels a "buy and hold" but rather a "speculative" investment. IMO, the time to pick up these type parcels was 6-7 years ago...  others can chime in, but unimproved lots in resort areas can be tricky. I've seen a lot of people overpay for their 'future retirement' location and end up regretting it later.

  • Duluth, GA · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Thank you Chris. SPECULATIVE...Exactly the word I had in mind but didn't use :) Appreciate your input.

  • Flipper · Westminster, SC · Member since 2012 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    The time is ripe for waterfront properties on Hartwell, as long as it remains waterfront during droughts. 

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Here's one for you. You'll have to pay extra because it's water front, sides, and back;) Smaller Pockets for that owner...

  • Investor · Atlanta GA | Marietta GA | Greenville SC | Spartanburg SC · Member since 2014 · 202 posts · 60 votes
    9y

    I would be careful buying and holding lake property. Better to buy, build a house, and then put it on Air B&B. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.