Texas Realtor Brokerage Question: Fulltime vs part time

4 Replies

I currently have a full time w2 sales job in which I office from home.  I am working on my first real estate investment deal now, and am hungry for more.  I am interested in getting a real estate license but I don't know if its possible to be successful as a part time realtor.  

Questions for all of you realtors out there:

1. Do brokerages frown upon part time agents? (Especially those that work full time)

2. Is it possible to be a part time REA that focuses on investors?

3. Are there certain types or sizes of brokerages that are more open to bringing in a part timer?

My goal isn't to be the "let me help you buy your next home" type of realtor.  I am more so am interested in finding deals for real estate investors as well as for myself.  I am not interested in wholesaling.   I don't know much about the licensing process in TX, but from what I've read it seems like you are at the mercy of your brokerage. 

Thanks in advance for your answers, general thoughts, and feedback. 

VM

*Bonus points if any Houston area realtors have any local insight!

I’m a Realtor in Dallas TX.
Most brokerages have no problem with part time. You will still have the same amount of dues either way. If going only part time and for investment property purposes, you may want to look for a smaller boutique/Mom & Pop brokerage over a big name.
Most of these smaller guys will not have all the franchise and office fees.

Once you have a real estate license, you will be held to a “higher standard” in the eyes of civil law. Be sure you understand exactly what that means and does it fit into your business plan. You may consider talking to brokers who specialize in property management as opposed to retail buy/sell, a good opportunity to learn from them and their system. You may find it difficult for a broker to sponsor you if you are not willing to make some level of commitment to working for them but you won’t know for sure unless you ask. Best of luck to you!!

@Victor Mondragon    As a general rule, they don't care how much business you generate as long as they get their cut. Most charge a monthly fee plus a percentage of any commissions earned off the top.

There are plenty of brokers who have agents who are doing their own thing. They charge a monthly fee plus a transaction fee. United Realty is one I'm aware of. Realty Associates also seems to have a lot of agents who are doing their own thing.

Having said that, there is value to joining a more hands-on brokerage when you are just starting out. They will offer training sessions and you will have broker support to keep you from stepping into something. And Texas has a lot of things you can step into.

For a more hands-on approach, I would suggest Remax or Keller-Williams. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.