San Angelo Rental Market

13 Replies

I'm going to be in the San Angelo area for the next few years and will be looking to invest in a rental property. I'm curious to know what types of properties generally offer a better cash flow. Condos/SFH/2-4 plex? Hoping to connect with RE professionals in the area. Thanks!

Welcome welcome! I’ve found multi family to be the best for me both in San Angelo and the outskirts like Grape Creek where I have two duplexes that produce great monthly cash flow. I am currently working on my first SFR so we shall see how that goes.

Hi Keane,

I am a Realtor, property manager, and hold investment properties in San Angelo. I've lived here for many years and know the area well. I've had great luck with SFRs and manage several apartments that cash flow well. There aren't too many newer duplexes and very few tri and quad plexes. with the condo HOA fees, I'd say your return will be better on a SFR than a condo. Let me know if I can help.

Hi Keane,

I am a Realtor, property manager, and hold investment properties in San Angelo. I've lived here for many years and know the area well. I've had great luck with SFRs and manage several apartments that cash flow well. There aren't too many newer duplexes and very few tri and quad plexes. with the condo HOA fees, I'd say your return will be better on a SFR than a condo. Let me know if I can help.

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the inventory info. I did a brief search before the busy weekend and did notice that there wasn't much of an inventory for MFU, glad you were able to back that up. I agree on the HOA fees. Thanks again.

@Account Closed glad to learn that someone is looking to find new investments.  I'll preface by disclosing that at the moment I do not own any property investments--yet.  However, I'm interested in targeting Texas markets in the next year if my resources permit it.

I use to live in the San Angelo region over a decade ago while assigned to the Goodfellow AFB nearby. I networked with many of the enlisted who lived and worked there permanently. Most of them--at that time--were primarily interested in SFH because it is a family friendly community--at least when I was there.

If you are locating there for the same reason I was there, then I would reach out to an active duty sponsor who could also share some more insight into the demands of those who are assigned to the base.

But if you are not in the service, then I would quickly sign up to Neighborhood Scouts and gather a report for their micro-markets and their surrounding areas to find the proven places to target.

I plan on following your thread to learn more about how your investment plans evolve.  Keep us updated if at all possible.  Thanks for sharing your investment story with us.  

Hey Jay,

Thanks for the info, I will be TDY at Goodfellow AFB.  I will look at seeing if I can connect with some of the folks stationed there. 

With the talk about housing migrants on Goodfellow anyone have thoughts about the effect on the housing and rental market in the area?

I'd imagine it will have some impact.  Here's the latest out of the pentagon, indicating up to 20,000 teens could be housed there.  That increases our population by about 20% immediately.  

https://sanangelolive.com/news/business/2018-07-02...

Also - is anyone in San Angelo from bigger pockets meeting up?  I'd be thrilled to join in and meet with some like minded individuals.  I do know @Aaron Nelson as he manages a couple of properties for me.  If anyone is looking for a realtor or property manager, Aaron is outstanding.  

@Michael Sechrest yes, we are starting to see more and more coming back to town. We are about 2 hours from Midland so we also have workers who make the commute because they'd prefer their families live in San Angelo.

That's interesting, I am in Big Spring and I have been down to San Angelo a couple of times, but never paid attention to the area as far as for investments. I have read that South San Angelo is a more desirable area than North. Is that true?