Builder Risk Insurance and General Liability Insurance

2 Replies

After reading my builders risk policy (30 pages), I realized the coverage isn't very good. About 15 pages of exclusions. My biggest concern is:  I hire a painter he is covered under the policy. He brings a helper and the helper gets hurt the helper is not covered. The policy considers the helper an employee of the painter.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say my painter doesn't have insurance. 

Does anybody have an insurance policy that covers situations like this?

Originally posted by @Mark Smith :

After reading my builders risk policy (30 pages), I realized the coverage isn't very good. About 15 pages of exclusions. My biggest concern is:  I hire a painter he is covered under the policy. He brings a helper and the helper gets hurt the helper is not covered. The policy considers the helper an employee of the painter.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say my painter doesn't have insurance. 

Does anybody have an insurance policy that covers situations like this?

Mark, if you hire a painter, he will not be covered under a Builders Risk policy.  You would need to purchase Work Comp to cover these type of worker related coverages. 

Only 2 ways to to eliminate this risk;   hire contractors that have Work Comp or purchase a Work Comp policy.  Until you have an inhouse employee, it will be less hassle to hire contractors that have Work Comp.

Good luck

Any and all reputable contractors should be licensed and insured. If they are they will have no problem providing you a copy of both.