Texas Investment Properties

26 Replies

Start by finding a good property manager... Pick their brain a bit... 

Being an OOS owner, property management has been the most difficult part.

Finding good rental locations and properties is the easy part :)

What kind of property do you want?  Single, duplex, multi?   What price range do you want to be in?   Any special criteria do you have?

Hey all...thanks for the response...looking at single family homes that will cash flow and appreciate well over time.  I am looking at up to $200K and anything under throughout the State.  What are you all seeing?

Cash flow and appreciation are generally mutually exclusive. Buy a home in Garland, Texas. Lots of blue collar tenants, strong proximity to DFW, entry prices for 3/1 or 3/2 are under $200k. PM all available.

@Adam Jason check out fort worth...lots of growth in that area. Also - outskirts of Houston such as Hockley, Waller, Cypress, etc...Houston is quickly growing and expanding to those 'outskirts'. I can send you some stuff if you are interested.

Originally posted by @Adam Jason :

Hey all...thanks for the response...looking at single family homes that will cash flow and appreciate well over time.  I am looking at up to $200K and anything under throughout the State.  What are you all seeing?

I'm seeing lot's of cash flowing single family homes under $200k all throughout Texas (except for several high-end neighborhoods in major markets).  It might be worthwhile to narrow your focus, especially geographically.  Texas is a big state.

Not going to happen in Austin proper. Maybe just maybe in the exurbs of the suburbs.Sometimes you get lucky though. 

@Adam Jason  I agree with @Hans Schmitt ... San Antonio is a great market. I live in Colorado, but have all of the my investment properties are located in SA. Sub $200K in San Antonio has been hot with loads of properties getting full price offers within 24 hours. As for CF, that obviously depends on the amount you finance... I have been lucky and am CF + on all of my properties but one... d*mn monthly assessment! If SA seems too hot, you could look at surrounding areas such as New Braunfels also. Good luck.

Hi All,

I'm looking into SA for my first OOS property. Is there any specific area for B class properties you can suggest looking? I'm definitely looking for something I can get under market value where I can implement the BRRRR Stategy. Thanks!

@Adam Jason

We manage 1000 properties in both Houston and Dallas. We come across cash flow deals all the time. Depends on what your looking for, price range, equity position and some other factors. But yes they exist,50-60% of our clients live out of state and out of country and own in Texas

Hey All - does anyone have experience investing in Lufkin, TX that they could share?  I am looking at a portfolio of assets there I may buy and was looking to get thoughts on experience and strategy.  Thanks!

Adam, I currently hold a small portfolio of single family rentals here in Lufkin & it’s also the market 90% of my sales as an agent are. 

I will be glad to share my strategy & knowledge of the market.