Dan Buchta
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Texas Property Code Question

Dan Buchta
  • Fort Worth, TX
Posted Jan 14 2021, 10:42

Hello Texas Investors,

I am in the process of converting my primary residence to a rental and I have been advised by multiple sources about the security devices requirement in Texas' property code: Sec 92.153 in this link

My house has an enclosed patio/sunroom conversion with laminate flooring, a ceiling fan and is on the same HVAC system as the rest of the house. The one thing that it does not have is an exterior door to the outside. Right now, it only has a storm door to the outside and an exterior door separating it from the rest of the house. 

So if you were in my shoes, what would you do? I've considered the following options but I would love to hear if there are more options I didn't think of:

• Install a formal exterior door in lieu/addition to the storm door (safest option, costs time and money)
  • Leave it as is and rely on the internal-exterior door as a good enough protection (riskiest option, however the neighborhood in general is very safe)
  • Leave it as is and don't market the sunroom as livable space. Also warn my tenants in writing not to treat the room as such (middle-of-the-road option)

Loading replies...