Buying land but no mineral rights and multiple easements

4 Replies

Hello, I am interested in buying land in linden,Tx, it was bought by a nonprofit, and I am a 7th day adventist christian and the seller bought 100k acres to build a christian community and selling land to those interested whether it's 1,2,5,10,20 acres. But he mentioned that theres no mineral rights and multiple easements. I have been very confused on the issue of mineral rights. I am looking to buy 2-5 acres from him. But I am concerned of corporations coming and causing disruption and ruining the land. He does say we have surface rights. Thank you in advance.

It is normal in Texas that you don't get the mineral rights, so that is probably not an issue.

East Texas is mostly vertical wells, but technology does allow in the right situations now to drill something like 2 miles sideways, so if they ever drill under your land, you might not even see a rig, hear it, or know they're drilling under you.

Easements can also be a normal part of transactions....utility easements for example are common.   If it is a road easement going across your property, that might be something else.  So you have to find out what they are, where they are, etc.  Could keep you from building permanent structures.

Overall I don't like the sound of this.   Lots of restrictions and challenges...perhaps....and maybe lots of expenses.  Are roads put in, utilities put in.    On deals like this I consider it more of a donation than an investment.   If you want to resale at a future date, who is your buyer?  Is the community big enough that there will be a big enough market among your group to resale to other members?   This might be less of a business transaction an more of an emotional/spiritual transaction.

Who profits from the sale?  The church or the individual selling the property?   There are plenty of examples where these were not good ideas for investment.  

Hi Adrian,

Well, lets say you owned one of those old flintlock rifles, 

and you went out in your backyard and tossed a yellow wrapped McDonald's Cheeseburger on the ground and started shooting at it.

Then after a couple of shots, 

this dark sulpher smelling liquid started bubbling up (That would be Crude Oil--what they make gasoline out of).

Crude Oil is a mineral (along with Diamonds, and Rubys, etc...)

If you owned the mineral rights, you might become instantly rich, and your relatives might recommend that you move to California...possibly to Beverly Hills.(but probably to Austin because so many seem to live here)...with movie Stars and Swimming Pools.

If you didn't own the mineral rights, the owner would probably (move to Beverly Hills) and you would go on ranching (or whatever it is you plan on doing for a living out there looking at one of those see-saw oil pumps going up and down all day and night (making the other guy rich).

See this link for further explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwzaxUF0k18

just my 2 cents

Second the youtube video

Originally posted by @Scott Mac :

Hi Adrian,

Well, lets say you owned one of those old flintlock rifles, 

and you went out in your backyard and tossed a yellow wrapped McDonald's Cheeseburger on the ground and started shooting at it.

Then after a couple of shots, 

this dark sulpher smelling liquid started bubbling up (That would be Crude Oil--what they make gasoline out of).

Crude Oil is a mineral (along with Diamonds, and Rubys, etc...)

If you owned the mineral rights, you might become instantly rich, and you relatives might recommend that you move to California...possibly to Beverly Hills.(but probably to Austin because so many seem to live here)...with movie Stars and Swimming Pools.

If you didn't own the mineral rights, the owner would probably (move to Beverly Hills) and you would go on ranching (or whatever it is you plan on doing for a living out there looking at one of those see-saw oil pumps going up and down all day and night (making the other guy rich).

See this link for further explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwzaxUF0k18

just my 2 cents

@Bruce Lynn As seven day Adventist we are called to live in the country which is why we are doing this. From what I know it looks like they would make money from aquaponic greenhouses they would make, and also ministries for health, Like restaurants and etc. The point is to make it as affordable as possible for those wanting to move to the country. Is there anything I should look out for in your opinion that makes it sound restrictive? There just expectations but no HOA or anything like that. They are putting gravel on certain spots where it's hard to drive during rain. But there is a road. Is there any questions you recommend that i ask them? Thank you