NOVA Investor market

4 Replies

My last post in this forum was taken down do I thought I would post again with a different topic. For those who do business in the North VA area, what would you say the general consensus is when it comes down to investing strategies in this market ( Single family Buy & Hold, Multi family buy and hold, house flipping, or wholesale)?

Holding seems less risky than flipping. EVENTUALLY one should be able to recover the investment, even if it was based on unrealistic numbers. I did one flip and am holding three houses with tenants. The flip was profitable, but less satisfying for me.

I love multi-family, but don't have the cash, and don't want to risk a mortgage on a quality property. I want tenants paying at least $1500/month, because those are often more responsible.

So, Single family Buy & Hold wins for me.

Originally posted by @Tim Evans :

Holding seems less risky than flipping. EVENTUALLY one should be able to recover the investment, even if it was based on unrealistic numbers. I did one flip and am holding three houses with tenants. The flip was profitable, but less satisfying for me.

I love multi-family, but don't have the cash, and don't want to risk a mortgage on a quality property. I want tenants paying at least $1500/month, because those are often more responsible.

So, Single family Buy & Hold wins for me.

So  each property brings in an average of 1500 or more, not bad. Are these townhouses or detached homes? 

One townhouse, others are detached. Townhouses and rowhouses are worth it toward the center of cities, where a car is not necessary. Also, I try to avoid homeowner associations (newer townhouse communities).