Replacement windows in Milwaukee

25 Replies

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get decent replacement windows for a single family rental unit in Milwaukee. The house has 18 windows that will need to be replaced and are original from the 1929 home. I am familiar with some of the companies in the area, but wondered if anyone has any experiences they can provide. Thanks!

If you're doing it yourself you can get lower-end vinyl windows from Menard's. Lisbon Storm and Screen also sells windows. If you want someone to do it for you, HomeSealed has good high-end windows. I can also PM you a contractor for windows.

Dawn Anastasi, Core Properties, LLC | http://www.coreprop.biz | Podcast Guest on Show #29

Trotnow Construction does a good job and has reasonable priceing, you just have to make sure that he finishes the job all at once, the guy gets side tracked..

Medium bluedenube logo op3Marcus Auerbach, Blue Danube Properties LLC | [email protected] | 262 671 6868 | http://www.bluedanubeproperties.com | WI Agent # 82189

Thanks to everyone for all of the replies. I am pricing out different options now. I have one more company to try, but will probably end up installing them myself. I was looking to save some of my time, but installation costs for 18 windows can be pricey.

Originally posted by @Jason V. :

Thanks to everyone for all of the replies. I am pricing out different options now. I have one more company to try, but will probably end up installing them myself. I was looking to save some of my time, but installation costs for 18 windows can be pricey.

Find someone who installs for a larger window installer and who is looking for some side work.  Offer him $30/hour (plus materials) and tell him he can have access to the house whenever (nights, weekends, etc).  Many of these guys are looking for side work, but find it difficult to find jobs that work around their daily schedule, and will jump at that.

I used to have a great guy in Milwaukee who I'd pay $250/day (and he was thrilled with that), but he recently moved away.  He could do an entire house in 2 days, so basically $500 plus materials.

I looked at all the window manufacturers and decided to go with the Viewpoint window from Lisbon Screen and Door. They offered the most affordable quality window that I could find in my price range. I almost went with a Home Depot window, but it got a lot of bad reviews online. The Viewpoint's seemed better and had a true lifetime limited warranty. I am going to be putting them in at the end of the month with family. I was going to pay to have them in, but figured since I had prior construction experience, I should just do them myself. Thanks for all the feedback from the group. 

I hate to say it but I have used window world for both of my properties.  They were the most reasonable for the two rentals, in fact they did 27 windows in 1 day on our last project.  A lifetime warranty (which they do honor) does well for rental properties.  

I have a duplex in Wauwatosa and was looking to replace around five windows.  I want someone else to install them  I've talked to Wasco and Lisbon so far.  Wasco gave me a quote of $2380 and Lisbon $2176.11.    Lisbon was going to install a Crystal CVD-200.  Lisbon did have some cheaper options, but I requested something middle of the road quality wise.  I don't have much knowledge on windows.  Any thoughts on those price points? 

Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi :

Last time I had windows done, I went with double-pane vinyl and had to get 9 windows replaced.  The cost was about $2800.

Who did you use to do it?  

@Erik Reichertz  I went with the Viewpoint 3000 window and was happy with it. I installed 18 of them myself, which took A LOT of time, as I had to add aluminum trim around the window stops. They look great and cost me a total of 3500.00. I originally went to Wasco and the saleswoman mentioned that average double hung windows cost approx. $500.00 with installation. If you are not handy, I would recommend doing what Dawn and J Scott are doing and having an outside contractor put the windows in. Good Luck!

Welcome to BP. 

I contacted quite a few, but Window World was the most economical one. 

$278 (material & labor) a window with lifetime warranty. 

Hope it helps. 

Medium decent properties logo jpeg  1 James Syed, Decent Properties, LLC | [email protected] | 618‑406‑9775 | http://www.decentproperties.com | IL Agent # 471018522

I use a general contractor use does them for about $250.  If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to PM his info to you.

Thanks for the input!  I ended up finding someone to do the five of them for $1650 (windows and labor).  He is installing Simonton Bronze windows.  Glad I asked, otherwise I wouldn't have shopped further.  

@Ed Riggenbach  and others, I'd welcome contact info for the installers you referenced.  I've gotten two bids for a house I own in Shorewood that needs 15 windows, and the cost per window on both bids is quite a bit more than you guys are talking about.  Would love to get a couple more bids.

Was searching the same for my parents, found a fair company - price=quality, so I'd recommend them.

http://surewindows.com/wi/west-milwaukee

Here is what their site says:

Milwaukee Window Contractors

Our guys are professional window contractors with experience in residential and commercial applications. When we draw up the plans for your project, its based on knowledge from certified Milwaukee experts. When installing replacement windows, by certified window contractors, you will see a noticeable difference in performance, and energy efficiency.

Any idea if any of the Milwaukee contractors you've mentioned would do a job on the east side of Madison? 

I priced Window World here in Madison and they were very expensive, more expensive than wood windows!  This surprised me. I'm just putting 4 windows in now, a pair of casements (Anderson 400 series) and a pair of double-hung (Kolbe).   

I'm interested in fiberglass replacement window options for another building. We probably can't afford to do them all at once, maybe we'd do 4 or 5 per year until they are all done. We're considering DIY- the replacement inserts look pretty easy to put in.

Originally posted by @Tanya F. :

Any idea if any of the Milwaukee contractors you've mentioned would do a job on the east side of Madison? 

I priced Window World here in Madison and they were very expensive, more expensive than wood windows!  This surprised me. I'm just putting 4 windows in now, a pair of casements (Anderson 400 series) and a pair of double-hung (Kolbe).   

I'm interested in fiberglass replacement window options for another building. We probably can't afford to do them all at once, maybe we'd do 4 or 5 per year until they are all done. We're considering DIY- the replacement inserts look pretty easy to put in.

Tanya,

If you are going to invest in {an upgrade to} fibreglass frames, why would you choose inserts and not full brickmould/full frame?

Medium greenapartmenthires 1024x1024Roy N., Louer Louer Ltd. | 1.506.471.4126