Wealth ENHANCEMENT Strategies I’ve Used Successfully

Wealth ENHANCEMENT Strategies I’ve Used Successfully

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes

Just celebrated 50 years as real estate investor!  I looked over my “files” and extracted 7 wealth “enhancement” strategies I used to accelerate my net worth.  Best I can figure, 50% of my estate is result of “straight up” investing, the other 50% the result of these strategies.  I’ve used others, but these had a more significant impact on my investing. 

1. Purchase 20% + below market value for cash when property can’t be financed

Buy truly below market by offering a very fast close, all cash, without the need for financing. To implement this strategy you need to have the full purchase price in readily accessible funds, so it won’t work for the majority of investors. Further, only a minority of sellers will be interested or motivated to offer a significant discount for an immediate no contingency sale.

2. Buy with seller financing with sweetheart terms ( assumable, 0% interest rate Seller Financed Note) and sell wrap note higher interest and or higher price for providing financing to buyers who would not qualify for conventional loans

Sell a property with an existing low interest mortgage utilizing a mortgage wrap. You’ll receive a higher price for the property because by offering seller financing you open up the bidding to a greater number of buyers. You create a note with an ultra high yield because you capture the interest rate differential between the stated interest rate on the wrap note and the lower interest rate on the underlying note.

3. Substitute a note purchased at large discount for seller financed note at full value (substitution of collateral)

Buy a property with seller financing at a low interest rate and long term and a substitution of collateral clause. Buy a note with a interest rate similar to the seller financed note at a large discount due to the relatively low interest rate and long term - and “substitute” this note for the seller financed note. You’ve just decreased your purchase price by the difference between the principal of the seller financed note and the “discounted” price you paid for the substitute note. Further, you now own a “free and clear” property you can borrow against should you desire and probably get all your invested cash out.

4. Use ability to finance at low interest rate to gain equity position

Negotiate for ownership interest in a property, with good cash flow from operations, but suffering negative cash flow from a high interest hard money loan that the owner can't refinance due to his personal credit limitations. Refinance using your good credit at 50% LTV and no personal guarantee. Negotiate the lender allowing a one time note assumption.

5. Work note

Purchase a low interest rate note at a significant discount to principal. “Work” the note by offering a smaller discount for payoff to the debtor, or by enticing an increase in monthly payments for a decrease in interest rate, which should if structured correctly increase you yield.

6. Business/Real estate combination

Purchase a business property such as an automotive repair shop. Purchase all heavy equipment needed for an automotive service business such as lifts, cranes, etc. Find an experienced operator wanting to operate in your location and sell him the business and lease the real estate to him. You can charge a hefty premium because with the shop fully equipped the operator saves the cost of outfitting the shop and the time and effort required. You can obtain a 12 cap or better on this type of situation.

7. Syndicate deal

Syndicate property or note acquisition and retain equity interest as “promote”

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
5Reply
175 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
    8mo

    thanks for this post! Can you expand with some examples of houses that can't be financed - scenarios / situations where you've found deals? 

    thanks

    Ed

    • Don KonipolBusiness Member
      OP
      Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Ed O.:

      thanks for this post! Can you expand with some examples of houses that can't be financed - scenarios / situations where you've found deals? 

      thanks

      Ed


      in 2012 in Phoenix most condos could not be financed because Fannie/Freddie/FHA guidelines placed a minimum percentage that had to be owner occupied within any condo complex for individual condos to be considered for financing. This was further tightened a year later when they set minimum reserves that condo associations needed to maintain. Since many condos complexes either still had a significant number of developer owned units; or speculators had purchased the units and rented them out, very few condos qualified for financing.

      I was a cash buyer.  I purchased 4 high rise condos in "class A" buildings, paying $155,000 - $167,000 for condos that had sold pre 2008 for $525,000 - $575,000.  Additionally, I purchased a large condo that had not sold when the buyer walked away from a $100,000 deposit with a previous contract price of $1.35 million.  I paid $505,000 for that condo.

      My yearly cash flow from rents average 8.75%, and I sold all the condos 4-7 years later for 2 - 2.5 times the purchase price. 

      Example two was a retail center in which an investor had a 50% interest.  He needed to sell THAT day because he was filing BK the next day and his ownership would become part of the BK estate which would go to his creditors.  Risks were twofold; first, if challenged the sale would probably be declared a fraudulent transfer, in which case the sale would be reversed and I would receive my purchase price back.  Second, the owner of the other 50% interest was a well known SOB, and near impossible to work with.  

      My best guess was that the equity in the property totaled about $450,000, so THEORETICALLY the seller's 50% interest was worth $225,000.  I purchased his interest THAT SAME DAY for $15,000.   I met with his partner, told him now that he was dealing with me there was a "new sheriff in town", and that we could go toe to toe and spend a lot of money on attorney's, or be reasonable with each other.  After convincing him that my version of reasonable was the one that would prevail, in 2 weeks he had 100% ownership and I had a check for $189,000.  

      Example three was about 27 years ago I came across an auto repair facility being marketed by a bankruptcy trustee. Problem was that there was environmental concerns, with estimates of costs to cure ranging from $60,000 on up.  I engaged an environmental engineer for a preliminary report, and found the contamination much more limited than feared.  I offered $110,000 cash for the property; the only other offer was $175,000 subject to financing.  Since the trustee understood that financing would not be available for a property with contaminated subsurface, He recommended to the judge that my offer be accepted. In fact the court countered my offer at $115,000, which I accepted and closed on.  I actually spent less than $3500 to correct the environmental problem, and the state agency provided compliance testing at no charge. For 12 months I rented the property out for $3,000 per month triple net, and at the end of 12 months once the state issued a clean certificate of closure my tenant purchased the property from me through an SBA loan for $335,000.  

      Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Investor · Statewide, MO · Member since 2011 · 814 posts · 425 votes
    8mo

    @Don Konipol

    Thanks, this was what I was looking for.

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8mo

    For anyone wanting to read about the strategies I’ve discussed above, here’s a list of books that deal with at least some of these strategies, and other also other creative strategiesI haven’t posted about because I have not used 

    CREATIVE REAL ESTATE WEALTH ENHANCEMENT STRATEGIES

    Swapping Real Estate for Fun and Profit
    Paul B Kelley

    Invest in Debt
    Jimmy Napier

    A Fortune at Your Feet: How You Can Get Rich, Stay Rich, and Enjoy Being Rich With Creative Real Estate
    A D Kessler

    Creative Seller Financing
    Creative Down Payments
    Advanced Creative Real Estate Financing
    Chuck Sutherland

    How to Finance Any Real Estate, Any Place, Any Time: Strategies That Work
    James A Misko

    100 Equity Marketing Formulas
    Virgil Opfer, Dan Harrison

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.