Alternative ways to find a great duplex to house hack

7 Replies

My wife and I are looking buy a duplex in the San Antonio area. As I’ve looked on Zillow and other sights there are not a whole lot of properties for sale in the areas we would like to live. I have driven around and know that there are duplexes.

Does anyone have other ideas of how to find a houses for sale besides looking on the big websites? 

Originally posted by @Nicholas Ziegler :

My wife and I are looking buy a duplex in the San Antonio area. As I’ve looked on Zillow and other sights there are not a whole lot of properties for sale in the areas we would like to live. I have driven around and know that there are duplexes.

Does anyone have other ideas of how to find a houses for sale besides looking on the big websites? 

Nicolas,

I would get in contact with an agent who has some experience with multifamily properties. San Antonio is a competitive market and it's always good to have an agent in the trenches looking alongside with you. What area's in SA are you looking? 

Sterling Williams, Real Estate Agent in TX (#682359)

I’ve had success by working the rental pages on CL and the local newspaper. I simply let them known that I’m not interested in renting, however I would like to talk about purchasing their property. The phone calls usually have about a 79% success rate “meaning the owner is willing to talk at least”.
You’ll then obviously need to analyze the deal as you would a listing you might find.
I’ve been able to identify some very profitable off market deals this way.
Good luck

It all depends if you want a deal or just pay retail. If you want to pay retail like everyone else, yes call a realtor.

If you want to find a deal, you have to do some marketing. Marketing is not cheap and it does take a while, but it ends up saving you tons of money. The side benefit is that you may come across other deals that, if you dont want them, you can wholesale to other friends who are investors.

Do some research on marketing for properties or read some books. Personally, I tell everyone that I know that I am looking for people who are behind on their mortgage, behind on taxes, they have a rental property that they dont want or inherited a home that they do not want.

I also send postcards to lots of people every month. 

@Mike Dorneman Thank you, that’s helpful... I suppose that if you are looking at CL you will mostly be talking to owners? I thought about calling rentals but my fear was that I’d just reach the property managers instead. 

@Nicholas
Fear is the main reason people fail in this business, just jump in. You may get a property manager, but turn that into a networking opportunity. Write out a brief script so you’ll have something to follow when that hometown does answer and says, Yes! Good luck

@Nicholas Ziegler There’s one in Beacon hill right now that looks nice 821 W. Woodlawn. I’ve seen it listed for a while now so curious why it’s still sitting.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.