Skip to content
Innovative Strategies

User Stats

Votes
John Vo
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Using Self Directed IRA to Invest in LLC?

John Vo
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Posted Jul 19 2018, 21:04

So I"m just learning about self directed IRA and it seems there's quite a few possibilities that is available if I can properly use this strategy to buy real estate. Here's a strategy that I've been kicking back and forth, so I thought I would pitch it to the biggerpocket audience to get some feedback. The scenario is purely fictional, there's some holes in the story but bear with it. Here's the scenario:

I would like to purchase a commercial property for $2,000,000 using an SBA loan. The loan require 15% down payment and for the sake of this scenario we're not including financing or closing cost. The SBA loan is fully recourse, which I will personally guarantee. The property also needs $200,000 in capital improvement. So total all in cash required is $500,000. 

I setup an LLC, and put in $50,000 of my own cash as seed money. I then solicited 2 friends to come into the deal and each of them are willing to put in $150,000. So we now have a total of $350,000. Seeing that it's not enough, I then pull $150,000 out of my self directed IRA account to invest in the LLC to bring the total seed money to $500,000. The structure of the LLC is that I will be the managing partner owning 55% of the company, while each of my friends are silent partner owning 15%  of the company. My self directed IRA account owned the final 15% share of the company. We're planning on hiring a professional property management company to run the daily operations of the investment property as well as implement all capital improvement.

The question is, can my self directed IRA invest in an LLC that I'm the managing partner?  

Loading replies...