Discount rent for on time payments.

Discount rent for on time payments.

The Dalles, OR · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 15 votes

Hello

We all like to receive rent on time. With that in mind, I had a thought of advertising rent slightly higher than I need and offering a discount for payments made on the day I want it. For example if I need $860/month due 1st of the month, I then advertise for $870/month with a $10 on time discount for payments made on the 1st.

Department stores use a similar strategy where they mark up an item, then have a "sale" on it at regular price. It seems logical but a bit unethical at the same time.

Is this a good idea and something people commonly use in real estate? Or deceptive and unethical?

Any advice, thoughts or opinions would be fantastic. Thanks!

6Reply
119 views

Most Popular Reply

CA · Member since 2019 · 51 posts · 65 votes
6y

I tried this for the first time on one of our properties recently, I increased the rent  $50 over what I wanted and prominently advertised the discount of $50 to pay before the 1st and yes there is a late fee if it’s late.  So far (6 months) rent has been paid before the 1st each month.  

See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    6y

    @Mark Lira

    How is that any different ( as to renters perspective) than having a late payment penalty?

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • The Dalles, OR · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @Don Konipol

    To there perspective they are gaining by paying on time rather than punished for being late.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mark Lira:

    @Don Konipol

    To there perspective they are gaining by paying on time rather than punished for being late.

    No they're not.  Besides, I would never give anyone a discount for doing what they are supposed to do...and signed a contract that guaranteed it.

  • Rental Property Investor · NC · Member since 2018 · 776 posts · 776 votes
    6y

    It's part of their contract to pay on time. I believe if you can rent the property for $870 a month then it should all go to you. Not sure if you'd receive any benefit from this but you can test it out.

  • Rental Property Investor · Navarre, FL · Member since 2019 · 913 posts · 640 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mark Lira:

    Hello

    We all like to receive rent on time. With that in mind, I had a thought of advertising rent slightly higher than I need and offering a discount for payments made on the day I want it. For example if I need $860/month due 1st of the month, I then advertise for $870/month with a $10 on time discount for payments made on the 1st.

    Department stores use a similar strategy where they mark up an item, then have a "sale" on it at regular price. It seems logical but a bit unethical at the same time.

    Is this a good idea and something people commonly use in real estate? Or deceptive and unethical?

    Any advice, thoughts or opinions would be fantastic. Thanks!

    I hear what you are saying and I like it. I'd bump it a little higher; $10 won't buy much these days.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Lumberton, TX · Member since 2017 · 54 posts · 62 votes
    6y

    @Mark Lira eh, rent is rent. It is due in the first 4 days. If your late I charge you $100... so their is my discount ;)

  • Real Estate Broker · Staten Island, NY · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 43 votes
    6y

    @Mark Lira

    I think it could also backfire...if they’re a little short there’s not much stress to just not pay on time, ya know? “Eh it’s $10 screw it I’ll pay next week.” Just a thought.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Not sure a $10 discount is enough to get people to pay any earlier than they are planning. With that said, these type of arrangements never work out in terms of making it easier on the landlord. 

  • The Dalles, OR · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    Thanks for all the feedback. I would definitely have a late fee in addition.

  • Edison, NJ · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    Morning:

    You have a good idea, but what is the win win if they are simply doing what they already committed to do?  On the Bigger Pockets podcast a couple of months ago, one of the investors tweaked the strategy.  

    Discount if paid before the 1st

    Standard rate on the 1st

    Late Penalty after the 4th

    Try it with your next tenant, what is the worst that could happen?  You are going to get paid.

    David Spatz

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Here's what my landlord (property manager) has found ...

    When it comes to the point of eviction, the judge always awards the amount of the rent due - no discounts. Where as, had there been a late penalty, the judge does NOT award that in the judgement against the tenant.

    For example, if the rent is $900/mo with a $100 on-time discount, and tenant is three months late, the judge will award $2,700 in the judgement against the tenant. However, if the rent is $800/mo with $100 late fee, the judge will award only the back-rent of $2,400 and not the $300 in late fees.

    So, by "doing the unthinkable" you actually come out ahead.

    That's here, of course (Northern Illinois outside of C(r)ook County). Your local situation may differ.

  • CA · Member since 2019 · 51 posts · 65 votes
    6y

    I tried this for the first time on one of our properties recently, I increased the rent  $50 over what I wanted and prominently advertised the discount of $50 to pay before the 1st and yes there is a late fee if it’s late.  So far (6 months) rent has been paid before the 1st each month.  

  • Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 20 votes
    6y

    @Mark Lira

    What the heck bro, make it straight, rent per month is so and so,. Don't make it complicated. If you play with your tenants they will play with you. Hope this help.

  • John WallacePro Member
    Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 29 votes
    6y

    @Mark Lira We've always offered $50 discount for payment by 5 pm on the 1st. 10% penalty after the 10th. This gets everyone in at the same time. Works beautifully.

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Mark Lira

    I do it. But I do MINIMUM $100 and often $200. Ads say “rent price includes applicable discounts”. Why? Because it allows me (not me, my on site guy) to have the following conversation at lease signing:

    T- “but the ad said $1,000 rent and this lease says $1200!!”

    L- “yes, but this form over here that we’re going to sign says that as long as you pay by noon on the 1st you instantly get $200 off so you pay only $1,000. You will NEVER pay $1200 unless you pay late, and we can even set you upon automatic debit so you don’t have to remember anything just to be sure. Are you going to pay late?”

    T- “....no... “

    L- “perfect. Because if you were worried about paying late I couldn’t rent to you.”

    Framing it this way helps me screen. It also brings the pain/ punishment if they screw up. And since the lease reads $1200 the banks like it also. I always send along ALL docs including the instant rental discount form at qualifying time but I suspect most lenders skim those docs at best.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 739 posts · 372 votes
    6y

    @Mark Lira

    Nah .. why would you lose money by then paying on time?

    Get their email and create a recurring monthly event “Rent is due” that shows as an alert on their phone every 1st of the month

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Chris Purcell

    You don’t have to reduce below market rent. See above post of mine

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 739 posts · 372 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Chris Purcell

    You don’t have to reduce below market rent. See above post of mine

     Wow I just read your post.  Amazing idea

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    To be clear, in above post $1,000 is market rent.

  • Investor · Kearny, NJ · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    I love it!!

    I have a tenant who pays their rent at the last hour of the 5 day grace period even though their rent is due on the first. I end up writing up an e-letter in preparation for them being late the night before and low and behold, they've submitted their payment literally within the last hour before their late payment actually kicks in. I’ve communicated to the tenant that the grace period is in place as a convenience not as an alternative to the due date of the 1st and yet it’s still an on-going occurrence.

    I’ve been trying to figure out how I can give incentive to getting the tenant to pay their rent on the due date while allowing the grace period should a real emergency come up followed by a late fee should the extend past that.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 333 posts · 459 votes
    6y

    @Mark Lira

    No

  • Specialist · Nashville, TN · Member since 2019 · 187 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    @Mark Lira I think what he means is that lets say rent is dues in 1st til 4th you get a discount if u pay the 1st. And after that penalty honestly not a bad idea.

  • Investor · Kearny, NJ · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Mario Am Exactly!!

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    The instant discount agreement also states that the second time it happens the non-discounted Rent becomes standard for the remainder of the term. So one screw up brings the hurt, and two makes it permanent hurt. I’ve had a handful of of first time offenders and not even one repeat offender. That’s little over a decade and 12 units.

  • Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2014 · 100 posts · 50 votes
    6y

    @Mark Lira

    Don't do it. My dad implemented this and it backfired spectacularly. Just as many people still payed late, but they took the discount anyway.

    Offering a discount for on-time rent is going to give you nothing but headaches. Charge late fees and stick to them. In Virginia I can charge a 10% late fee. Rent is due on the first. I charge late fees on rent paid after the fifth.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.