Starting an LLC after two properties

Starting an LLC after two properties

Rental Property Investor · CT · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 15 votes

In the past year, I have purchased two properties in the state of Connecticut, but am yet to form an LLC, which I would like to do ASAP obviously for a number of reasons. I have put 25% down on both properties with a credit score on 820 and solid income so no issues there. I will list a series of questions that I would love a long time professional or expert in the field to answer and help someone out that is looking to continue to grow the business in the coming years:

Is it difficult to transfer the two purchased properties over to an LLC? Will I need to refinance and find a new lender most likely, or is it just a simple transfer hopefully?

Should I use an attorney for the LLC or just do it online? I always see cheap pricing online to form one but can I trust that?

Is there anything specific I need to do prior to forming the LLC to make sure I can tax the company completely separate from my actual, personal tax form each year? (I know it is possible, just not sure on specifics)

Is insurance more expensive when under an LLC instead of under my personal name generally?

Will the interest rates go up due to it being changed to an LLC?

Will financing be more difficult in the future under the LLC?

Any other tips are much appreciated but those are the questions that have been running through my head a lot.

8Reply
139 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · West Hartford, CT · Member since 2016 · 449 posts · 476 votes
6y

@Jake Belden  this link may be helpful regarding your question. Link to IRS . You should keep all your expenses on your rental separate if you have an LLC. If you get audited you don't want to be caught commingling funds between personal expenses and 'business' expenses associated with your property. When you do your taxes at the end of the year you will file a 1040 form and you should add all your income and subtract all your expenses for your LLC.

The only reason to have an LLC is for liability protection. If a tenant slips and falls they can only go after what's 'in' the LLC. They cannot go after personal assets. It also may be worthwhile to look into an umbrella policy if you choose to not go the LLC route. Many investors choose to have both.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ladè Baruwa:

    @Peter Walther These quick transfers are done all the time as I'm sure you know. I suggest one should speak with the bank first before doing so (in case of a due on sales clause among other things) and get written permission. The bank will always know when a transfer is being done for the most part and may turn a blind eye; however it may not be in the best interest for one to forgo. Nevertheless, to each their own.

    I am aware it's done all the time and most time it doesn't ripen into a problem.  It's just like driving 55 MPH in a 35 MPH zone, most times you don't get caught, some times you do.  I think asking the bank if it's ok to do it and please put the approval in writing is a similar to asking a cop if it's ok to speed.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 90 posts · 122 votes
    6y

    @Peter Walther You’d be surprised how many oblige

  • Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ladè Baruwa:

    @Peter Walther You’d be surprised how many oblige

    I'll take your word for it. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.