Bandit signs

8 Replies

is anyone doing bandit signs?  I want to see how to get someone to put them out for me. How do you check to see if they were really posted? How much do you pay? How successful are they?  Thanks!

On October 06,15 I've put some bandit signs in Norwalk CT on light poles, today is oct.09, only couple days ago. I have a phone a warning call from the city of Norwalk to remove it immediately. Guy was very nice in explain it to me to why to remove them, but it's frustating. Does Bigger Pockets has any sugestion, if this is just an empty treat?  in any event I am thinging in removing only couple. your is your input bigger pockets. we learn all over sites and even on BP to put bandit signs. Also he said not even on highway exits. all prohibit!

I also did signs in norwalk and got the same call. Gave up on that, its was an expensive lesson. I don't know that there is a solution with signs in Connecticut.

I think you need to avoid placing the signs in the "right of way," as opposed to private property (possibly minimally maintained) that happens to be near a street. In some places, the city will remove signs in the right of way. To avoid fines, don't use a phone number that is easily tied to your identity. In my brief experience, the signs do not work.

Thanks Ken Tolley and Bob Hucker.

Did you pay any fines? is this possible that the fine us? or they just remove it? 

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

On October 06,15 I've put some bandit signs in Norwalk CT on light poles, today is oct.09, only couple days ago. I have a phone a warning call from the city of Norwalk to remove it immediately. Guy was very nice in explain it to me to why to remove them, but it's frustating. Does Bigger Pockets has any sugestion, if this is just an empty treat?  in any event I am thinging in removing only couple. your is your input bigger pockets. we learn all over sites and even on BP to put bandit signs. Also he said not even on highway exits. all prohibit!

My first lesson in not listening to 'gurus' was very similar.  First call was from a State Trooper. "Hi, do you buy houses?"  "Yes"  "Ok, this is Officer XXX you need to remove your signs immediately, they are on state property".

Long story short:

- Any road that is labeled "Route", is a state road.  Any off ramp is a state road.

- Most sign ordinances only allow signs to be out from Friday evening to Sunday night.

- There is a good reason they call them BANDIT Signs.

- Bandit signs posted across town are a trashy and unprofessional form of marketing.

- If you think logically, if every company was able to post cheesy signs on telephone poles, the world would be an ugly place.  Don't do it.

- So why do people do it?  Because to them the money from 1 deal is more important than breaking the law, littering, and making the world look like a dump site. (And because for $999 someone told them to.)

Phil Z., Real Estate Agent in Connecticut (#REB.0789205)
203-936-7776

Well, this is what it is. Ok. Can they really fine us? 

Cities are cracking down on bandit signs. 

@Account Closed so far just threats, but yes they can fine you per sign, i forget the numbers but i think it was up to $50 per sign, totally depends on the town though, i was able to find the fines online.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.